Solving the Projectile and Ramp Problem

In summary, a projectile starting from rest moves 4.7 m down a frictionless ramp inclined at 21 degrees with the horizontal. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. The problem asks for the speed at which the projectile will leave the ramp, as well as the range if the bottom of the ramp is 2.1 m above the ground. To solve for the speed, the vertical acceleration must be found, which is not simply -9.8 m/s^2 as there is another force acting on the object while it is on the ramp. Once the vertical acceleration is found, the velocity at the end of the ramp can be calculated. The horizontal acceleration is zero and the horizontal displacement is
physics_noob2

Homework Statement

A projectile starts from rest and moves 4.7 m down a frictionless ramp inclined at 21 degrees with the horizontal. the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

what what speed will it leave the ramp ?

what will the range of the projectile if the bottom of the ramp is 2.1 m above the ground

Homework Equations

V=Vi + at
delta X = Vi*t+1/2 a*t^2
Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2*a*deltaX

The Attempt at a Solution

Vertical,
Viy=0
ay=-9.8
Vfy= - Vf sin 21
delta y= -4.7 sin 21

horizontal,
Vix= ( i thought it to be zero at first but it can't be zero because then the delta x comes out to be zero. So I am confused at this one )
ax=0
Vfx=Vf cos 21
delta x= 4.7 cos 21

so i used the third law and set it up as follows,

Vfy^2 = 2 (-9.8) (4.7 sin 21)

then the idea is to set the answer = Vf sin 21 and solve for Vf

it comes out to be 16.0329

but this is unfortunately not the right answer. can anyone help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physics_noob2,

physics_noob2 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile starts from rest and moves 4.7 m down a frictionless ramp inclined at 21 degrees with the horizontal. the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

what what speed will it leave the ramp ?

what will the range of the projectile if the bottom of the ramp is 2.1 m above the ground

Homework Equations

V=Vi + at
delta X = Vi*t+1/2 a*t^2
Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2*a*deltaX

The Attempt at a Solution

Vertical,
Viy=0
ay=-9.8

I don't believe this is true; while it is on the ramp, there is another force besides gravity acting on the object.

More importantly, while it is on the ramp it is only moving in a single direction, so this part of the problem only has one-dimensional motion. What is the acceleration in the direction of motion? Once you have that, you can find the velocity at the end of the ramp.

Vfy= - Vf sin 21
delta y= -4.7 sin 21

horizontal,
Vix= ( i thought it to be zero at first but it can't be zero because then the delta x comes out to be zero. So I am confused at this one )
ax=0
Vfx=Vf cos 21
delta x= 4.7 cos 21

so i used the third law and set it up as follows,

Vfy^2 = 2 (-9.8) (4.7 sin 21)

then the idea is to set the answer = Vf sin 21 and solve for Vf

it comes out to be 16.0329

but this is unfortunately not the right answer. can anyone help ?

Related to Solving the Projectile and Ramp Problem

1. What is a projectile and ramp problem?

A projectile and ramp problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object, called a projectile, as it is launched from a ramp at an angle. These problems often involve finding the initial velocity, time of flight, and maximum height or distance of the projectile.

2. What are the key equations used to solve projectile and ramp problems?

The key equations used to solve projectile and ramp problems are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. In addition, the equations for projectile motion, such as the range equation and the maximum height equation, are also used.

3. How do you find the initial velocity in a projectile and ramp problem?

The initial velocity in a projectile and ramp problem can be found by using the equation v0 = v0x + v0y, where v0x is the initial velocity in the x-direction and v0y is the initial velocity in the y-direction. These values can be calculated using trigonometry and the launch angle.

4. What is the difference between a ramp and a slope in a projectile problem?

In a projectile and ramp problem, a ramp refers to a raised surface that the object is launched from, while a slope refers to the incline of the ramp. The slope is important in determining the angle at which the object is launched, which affects the object's motion.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving projectile and ramp problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving projectile and ramp problems include using the wrong units, not considering air resistance, and not taking into account the direction of the acceleration due to gravity. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the correct equations and units to avoid making mistakes.