Solving the Puzzle: Train and Car Speeds

In summary, the problem involves a car and a train moving in the same direction, with the car starting 37 m behind the train. The car has an initial speed of 47 m/s and an acceleration of 5 m/s^2, while the train has a constant speed of 33 m/s. To find the speed of the car when it passes the train, you can set the distance traveled by both the car and the train equal to each other and solve for the time it takes for the car to reach that distance. Using the equations of motion, the final speed of the car is calculated to be 30.5941 m/s.
yankee
A train is moving parallel and adjaceent to a highway with a constant speed of 33 m/s, initially a car is 37 m behind the train, traveling in the same direction as the train at 47 m/s and accelerating at 5 m/s^2.
What is the speed of the car just as it passes the train? Answer in units of m/s
----
Basically I found that:
Vo= 47 m/s
a= 5 m/s^2
x= 37 m
----
Somehow i found out that
t= .869919 s
Vf= 50.7838
---
However my answer is incorrect. I know the train is still moving but I can't seem to figure out how to connect the train factor and the car factor. How would I go about to solving this question?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How about assuming the train is stationary and taking the initial speed of the car to be 47 - 33 = 14 m.s-1? :wink:

Somehow you found out that...?

Write the two equations of motion for the car and train, and apply the initial conditions that you are given. Then set the position of the car and train equal to each other, and solve for t. Then use the t to tell you the speed of the car at that moment.

I tried the problem again, this is what I did

Car:
Vo=14m/s
a= 5 mi/s^2
x=37m

Train:
Vo=33 m/s
a= 0 m/s
x=37m

Vf^2=Vo^2 +2ax
Vf^2= (14 m/s)^2 + 2((5m/s^2)(37))
Vf^2= 196m^2/s^2 +740 m^2/s^2
square root of Vf^2= square root (936 m^2/s^2)
Vf= 30.5941 m/s
Then I took this number added it to 47 the initial cars velocity and i got 77.5941.
I entered the answer and I was still incorret.
Please help. Any suggestions? Thnaks

The general equations of motion to use are:

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{a t^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]v = v_0 + a t [/tex]

I'm not familiar with the [tex]v^2 = {v_0}^2 + 2 a x [/tex] equation, although that may be a valid shortcut. I would start by writing the above 2 equations for each vehicle, applying the initial conditions, and then solving the equations for equal displacements x at some time in the future. I'm pretty sure that approach will get you to the answer.

FAQ: Solving the Puzzle: Train and Car Speeds

1. How do I determine the speed of a train or car?

The speed of a train or car can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time. Make sure to use consistent units for distance and time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

2. How do I calculate the distance traveled by a train or car?

The distance traveled by a train or car can be calculated by multiplying the speed by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for distance is distance = speed * time. Again, make sure to use consistent units for speed and time.

3. What if I only have the speed and distance, but not the time?

If you only have the speed and distance, you can still solve for the time by rearranging the formula for speed. The formula for time is time = distance/speed. This will give you the time it took to travel that distance at that speed.

4. Can I use any units for speed and distance?

Yes, you can use any consistent units for speed and distance. Some common units for speed include miles per hour, kilometers per hour, and meters per second. Some common units for distance include miles, kilometers, and meters.

5. What if I have multiple trains or cars with different speeds and distances?

If you have multiple trains or cars with different speeds and distances, you can use the same formulas to solve for each individual speed and distance. Just make sure to keep track of which numbers correspond to which train or car. You can also use a system of equations to solve for multiple unknown variables.