Solving the Sound Wave Problem of Two Identical Violin Strings

In summary, when two identical violin strings with the same tension and in tune have a fundamental frequency of 440.0 Hz. When one string is retuned by adjusting its tension, 1.5 beats per second are heard when both strings are plucked simultaneously. The highest possible fundamental frequency of the retuned string is 441.5 Hz and the lowest possible fundamental frequency is 438.5 Hz. The tension of the string was increased by a
Lakers08
Two identical violin strings, when in tune and stretched with the same tension, have a fundamental frequency of 440.0 Hz. One of the strings is retuned by adjusting its tension. When this is done, 1.5 beats per second are heard when both strings are plucked simultaneously.

-What is the highest possible fundamental frequency of the retuned string?
-What is the lowest possible fundamental frequency of the retuned string?
-By what fractional amount was the string tension changed if it was increased?
-By what fractional amount was the string tension changed if it was decreased?

please help me get started I am totally stomped, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The beat frequency is the difference between the two frequencies.

thanks a lot, lol for some reason i had the equation with a plus sign, thanks for the hint if it wasent for you i would be stuck here all night.

ummm just ran into another problem in this question, for the third part "by what fractional amount was the string changed?"

Iam using that the fundamental frequency of a string is proporional to the velocity of the waves which is proportional to the square root of the Tension in the string:

for example : f_2 = sqrt(T2/T1)*f_1

I am plugging in the frequency that i got for part a? for example 440 will go on f_1 and 442 will go on f_2 and then i solve for the ratio of T2/T1 but somehow I am missing something or I am doing this wrong, someone please help

HINT:

[tex]\frac {\delta T}{T} = 2 \frac {\delta f}{f}[/tex]

thanks a lot

FAQ: Solving the Sound Wave Problem of Two Identical Violin Strings

1. How does the sound wave problem of two identical violin strings occur?

The sound wave problem of two identical violin strings occurs when the two strings are tuned to the same pitch and are played simultaneously. This creates a phenomenon known as "beating", where the sound waves from the two strings interfere with each other and produce a pulsating sound.

2. What are the effects of the sound wave problem on the sound produced by the violin?

The sound wave problem can cause the sound produced by the violin to be distorted, with a pulsating or "wobbly" quality. This can also result in a loss of clarity and resonance in the sound.

3. How can the sound wave problem be solved?

The sound wave problem can be solved by adjusting the tension of one of the violin strings. This can be done by slightly loosening or tightening the string until the beating disappears and the sound becomes clear and resonant.

4. Are there any other methods for solving the sound wave problem?

Another method for solving the sound wave problem is to slightly alter the position of one of the strings. This can be done by moving the bridge or adjusting the fine tuners on the tailpiece. However, this method may not always be as effective as adjusting the tension of the string.

5. How can I prevent the sound wave problem from occurring in the first place?

To prevent the sound wave problem, it is important to make sure that the two strings are not tuned to the exact same pitch. This can be achieved by using an electronic tuner or by tuning one string slightly higher or lower than the other. Additionally, it is important to regularly check and adjust the tension of the strings to avoid any potential problems.

Back