Solving the Spring-Weight Paradox: 0.039m

• Thread starter Speedking96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of a physics problem involving a spring and weight. One person mentions that the maximum stretch of the spring should be double the calculated amount, and the other person suggests using the conservation of energy to solve the problem. They also discuss the effect of suddenly adding a brick to the basket and whether or not it would cause any changes in the equilibrium of forces.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

upload_2014-11-23_7-54-12.png

Homework Equations

Fs = -kx

w = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that when the spring is stretched out at its max, the weight pulling down will equal the force of the spring pulling up.

Fs=w
-kx = mg
-(1500)(x) = (3)(-9.81)

x = 0.01962 m

The solution key tells me the max stretch is double this amount, 0.039 m. What is wrong with my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark the word suddenly. If the basket were at maximum distance and forces would be in equilibrium, the velocity wouldn't change anymore, so the thing would hang still.
Do you think that is what would happen if you suddenly put a brick in the basket ?

Last edited:
Ah. I see. So then I need to solve the problem using the conservation of energy.

Related to Solving the Spring-Weight Paradox: 0.039m

What is the Spring-Weight Paradox?

The Spring-Weight Paradox is a physics phenomenon where a spring attached to a weight will stretch by a distance greater than the weight's initial displacement when the weight is released from rest. This paradox can be observed in simple spring scale experiments and has been a topic of study for many scientists.

What causes the Spring-Weight Paradox?

The Spring-Weight Paradox is caused by the elastic properties of the spring. When the weight is released from rest, the spring compresses and stores potential energy. This potential energy is then released as the spring expands, causing the weight to be displaced by a distance greater than its initial displacement.

What is the significance of the 0.039m value in the Spring-Weight Paradox?

The 0.039m value refers to the amount of stretch in the spring when the weight is released. This value is important because it represents the difference between the weight's initial displacement and its final displacement, demonstrating the paradox of the spring stretching more than the weight's initial displacement.

How can the Spring-Weight Paradox be solved?

The Spring-Weight Paradox can be solved by using the principle of conservation of energy. By analyzing the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the weight, scientists can determine the spring constant and the weight's final displacement, resolving the paradox.

What are the practical applications of understanding the Spring-Weight Paradox?

Understanding the Spring-Weight Paradox is important in various fields such as engineering, biomechanics, and physics. It can be applied in designing and analyzing spring-based systems, understanding the behavior of elastic materials, and predicting the movement of objects under the influence of springs.