Solving Thevenin Equivalent Circuit: 300Ω, 100Ω & 25Ω

In summary, Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified equivalent circuit that can be used to analyze and design complex circuits. To calculate it, the load resistor is removed and the Thevenin voltage and resistance are calculated. It is useful in simplifying circuits and can be used in various applications such as circuit analysis, power systems, and communication systems. However, it can only be used for linear circuits that follow Ohm's law.
tissue98

Homework Statement

I have this circuit (attached) and I am required to give the thevenin equivalent circuit...since its a current source, the first 300ohm resistor is ignored, right? but then is the 100 ohm and 25 ohm resistor afterwards taken to be in series of parallel, i took series.

i ended up with a voltage source of 37.6V and a thevenin resistance of 94 ohms..is this correct?

Attachments

• thevenin.pdf
    201.2 KB · Views: 202
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I too get answer close to yours, 37.5V and 93.75 ohms

Related to Solving Thevenin Equivalent Circuit: 300Ω, 100Ω & 25Ω

1. What is Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified circuit that can be used to analyze a more complex circuit. It is made up of a voltage source in series with a resistance, and is equivalent to the original circuit in terms of voltage and current.

2. How do I calculate Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to first remove the load resistor from the original circuit and calculate the voltage across the open circuit. This voltage is the Thevenin voltage. Then, you need to calculate the resistance seen from the open terminals, which is the Thevenin resistance. The Thevenin equivalent circuit is then a voltage source with the Thevenin voltage and a resistance of the Thevenin resistance.

3. Why is Thevenin equivalent circuit useful?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is useful because it simplifies a complex circuit into a single voltage source and resistance, making it easier to analyze and design. It also allows for the replacement of a complex circuit with a simple equivalent circuit, without affecting the overall performance of the circuit.

4. What are the applications of Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in electrical engineering applications such as power systems, electronic circuits, and communication systems. It can also be used to determine the maximum power transfer in a circuit.

5. Can I use Thevenin equivalent circuit for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin equivalent circuit can only be used for linear circuits, where the voltage and current relationship follows Ohm's law. For non-linear circuits, other equivalent circuits such as Norton equivalent circuit may be used.