Solving Thévenin Equivalent Circuits: Confused by Different Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Thevenin equivalent circuits and the confusion surrounding replacing current and voltage sources. The video author treats the voltage source as the load of the circuit and replaces it with an open circuit, leading to confusion for the person asking the question. The conversation also highlights the difficulty of solving for Vth due to the various techniques used.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

For thévenin equivalent circuits, I thought current sources are replaced with open circuits and voltage sources are replaced with short circuits.

In this video, the guy replaces both with open circuits, so I am not understanding how that works.

Because of all the different methods I am seeing for solving for Vth, I cannot figure out what to do because I am being bombarded with too many techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The video author is treating the voltage source as the load of the circuit so it is not strictly part of the circuit under consideration. Therefore he treats it like a load and open-circuits it.

I know this stuff is confusing. Small wonder Circuits is usually the least favorite class of Engineering majors!

Related to Solving Thévenin Equivalent Circuits: Confused by Different Methods

What is a Thévenin equivalent circuit?

A Thévenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that is used to analyze and solve problems. It consists of a voltage source in series with a resistor, and is equivalent to the original circuit in terms of voltage and current at a specific load.

What are the different methods for solving Thévenin equivalent circuits?

There are several methods for solving Thévenin equivalent circuits, including the voltage divider method, the superposition method, and the Norton equivalent method. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for different circuit configurations.

Why do different methods for solving Thévenin equivalent circuits lead to different answers?

Different methods for solving Thévenin equivalent circuits may lead to different answers because they make different assumptions and approximations about the circuit. Additionally, different methods may be more or less accurate depending on the complexity of the circuit and the precision of the calculations.

Which method is the most accurate for solving Thévenin equivalent circuits?

There is no single method that is always the most accurate for solving Thévenin equivalent circuits. The most accurate method will depend on the specifics of the circuit and the precision of the calculations. It is recommended to use multiple methods and compare the results to ensure accuracy.

What are some common sources of confusion when solving Thévenin equivalent circuits?

Some common sources of confusion when solving Thévenin equivalent circuits include understanding the concept of equivalent circuits, determining which method is most appropriate for a given circuit, and making mistakes in calculations or assumptions. It is important to have a strong understanding of circuit analysis principles and to double check all calculations to avoid confusion.