Solving Three Body Decay: Colin's Challenge

• Thread starter colin.mcenroe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Decay
In summary, Colin wrote about a problem he had with calculating the decay of a particle. He mentioned that it can be treated as a three-body decay in the center-of-mass, and that decay isotropy is a critical component. He also mentioned that there is a good book that covers the problem from the ground up, but the title is not in his memory. He offered to send a PM to the poster if they need help finding it.
colin.mcenroe
Hello all,

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to analyze a three body decay (lambda_c ---> kaon, pion proton). What I have done is taken the kaon on an arbitary axis and set the decay in a plane. Now I found out that the angles assumed by the pion and proton can be anything from collinear to wide open on a nearly uniform distribution. My problem is that I have three equations, 2 for p-conservation and one for e-conservation, but the only way I have been able to eliminate my variables has inevitably led to the problem of radicals I cannot simplify because of the energy relationship E = sqrt(m^2 + |p|^2). I don't know if anything I just said makes any sense, but I am lost.

My ultimate goal is to attain the 4-vector for each of the three particles and create a Dalitz plot based on the invariant masses of the pion-kaon and the proton-kaon. Please help if you can!

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
colin.mcenroe said:
Hello all,

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to analyze a three body decay (lambda_c ---> kaon, pion proton). What I have done is taken the kaon on an arbitary axis and set the decay in a plane. Now I found out that the angles assumed by the pion and proton can be anything from collinear to wide open on a nearly uniform distribution. My problem is that I have three equations, 2 for p-conservation and one for e-conservation, but the only way I have been able to eliminate my variables has inevitably led to the problem of radicals I cannot simplify because of the energy relationship E = sqrt(m^2 + |p|^2). I don't know if anything I just said makes any sense, but I am lost.

My ultimate goal is to attain the 4-vector for each of the three particles and create a Dalitz plot based on the invariant masses of the pion-kaon and the proton-kaon. Please help if you can!

Colin

Hello,

I did work on a similar problem once upon a time as part of a research project involving montecarlo simulation of proton-antiproton annihilation into the three-pi0 background. This also had to be treated as a three-body decay in the center-of-mass, and if you search for my article "Mass and Width of f2(1270) from E760 Neutral Data" in the NCUR 2003 "Proceedings" you will find my treatment of the problem. Decay isotropy was a critical component of the treatment, as well as conservation of both energy and momentum. I wrote a program in FORTRAN that produced simulated three-body events within this framework in the process. I also found a very good book in doing this work that gives a good treatment of the problem from the ground up, but the title is not on the tip of my tongue; I'll have to look it up. But it is cited in my references. Send me a PM if you need anything. Good luck!

FAQ: Solving Three Body Decay: Colin's Challenge

1. How do you solve a three body decay?

The three body decay problem involves determining the energy and momentum of the three particles involved in the decay process. This can be solved using conservation laws such as energy and momentum conservation.

2. What is the significance of Colin's Challenge in solving three body decay?

Colin's Challenge is a specific scenario in which a three body decay takes place, making it a useful case study for understanding the general principles and techniques used in solving three body decay problems.

3. What are the main challenges in solving a three body decay?

The main challenges in solving a three body decay include accurately determining the initial conditions of the decay process, taking into account the interactions between the particles, and solving the equations of motion for the particles.

4. Can the three body decay problem be solved analytically?

In most cases, the three body decay problem cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods to find a solution. However, in simple cases with symmetrical initial conditions, an analytical solution may be possible.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving three body decay?

Yes, the principles and techniques used in solving three body decay problems are applicable in many areas of science, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. Understanding three body decay processes is crucial in studying the behavior of subatomic particles and the formation of elements in the universe.