Solving Three Variable Equations: Finding x, y, and z

• Thread starter smart_worker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, Ray is suggesting that we add a multiple of one equation to the other so as to eliminate a variable.
smart_worker

Homework Statement

find (x,y,z)

Homework Equations

3x - 4y + 7z = 0,-------------->first equation

2x - y - 2z = 0,---------------->second equation

3x3 - y3 + z3 = 18.---->third equation

The Attempt at a Solution

on subtracting first two equations i get x - 3y + 9z = 0

using this if i solve the both first two equations i get 5y - 20z = 0.

if i add the first 2 equations i get x - y -z =0

with this equation if i solve the first equation i get y = 10z
but if i solve 2nd one i get y=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
smart_worker said:

Homework Statement

find (x,y,z)

Homework Equations

3x - 4y + 7z = 0,-------------->first equation

2x - y - 2z = 0,---------------->second equation

3x3 - y3 + z3 = 18.---->third equation

The Attempt at a Solution

on subtracting first two equations i get x - 3y + 9z = 0

using this if i solve the both first two equations i get 5y - 20z = 0.

if i add the first 2 equations i get x - y -z =0

with this equation if i solve the first equation i get y = 10z
but if i solve 2nd one i get y=0.

The best way is to proceed systematically; it may take a bit longer, but it is helpful in avoiding errors. So, from eq (2) we get ##y = 2x - 2z.## Putting this into equation (1) we have
[tex] 0 = 3x - 4(2x - 2z) + 7z = -5x +15 z[/tex]
So, ##x = 15z / 5 = 3z##, and putting this into the expression for y we have ##y = 2(3z) - 2z = 4z##. Now put ##x = 3z, y = 4z## into equation (3).

Note: we started solving for y in terms of z and z from eq. (2). We could equally well have started by solving for x in terms of y and z from eq. (1), etc., but the expressions would have been a bit more complicated. When in doubt, just forge ahead and do it.

smart_worker,
Merely subtracting one equation from another to get a third equation isn't much help if the new equation still has three variables in it. A better way to go would be to add a multiple of one equation to the other so as to eliminate a variable. For example, you could add (-4) times the second equation to the first to get a new equation in only x and z.

Ray is suggesting a different approach. Since he has gone into more detail, I'll leave you to follow his suggestion.

Related to Solving Three Variable Equations: Finding x, y, and z

What are three variable equations?

Three variable equations are mathematical expressions that contain three variables (unknown values) and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation.

What are some examples of three variable equations?

Examples of three variable equations include x + y + z = 10 and 3x - 2y + z = 5. These equations have three variables (x, y, and z) and can be solved by finding specific values for each variable that make the equation true.

How do you solve three variable equations?

Three variable equations can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The most common method is substitution, where one variable is isolated and substituted into another equation to eliminate it. This process is repeated until all variables are solved.

Why are three variable equations important?

Three variable equations are used to model real-world situations and solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They help us understand relationships between multiple variables and make predictions about their values.

What are some common mistakes when solving three variable equations?

Some common mistakes when solving three variable equations include misinterpreting the equation, making calculation errors, or forgetting to check if the solution values satisfy the original equation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check the solution to avoid these errors.