Solving Transcendental in Wien's Displacement law

In summary, the conversation is about solving a transcendental equation, with the problem statement and a file attachment being shared. The solution involves substituting x=5-ε into the equation and expanding e^ε as a series to first order. The conversation ends with the problem being solved.
dcarmichael
Homework Statement
Solving Transcendental in Wiens Displacement law
Relevant Equations
x=5-e^-x
Hello, I have attached my attempt at a solution. All is okay until i reach x=5-5e^-x. My assignment suggests that i solve it by substituting x=5-ε into the equation where ε is assumed to be small. Solve for ε and then solved for x (Approximate).
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• p3250f20a1.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 168
Physics news on Phys.org
dcarmichael said:
Homework Statement:: Solving Transcendental in Wiens Displacement law
Relevant Equations:: x=5-e^-x

Hello, I have attached my attempt at a solution. All is okay until i reach x=5-5e^-x. My assignment suggests that i solve it by substituting x=5-ε into the equation where ε is assumed to be small. Solve for ε and then solved for x (Approximate).
Thank you for your help
The attachment appears only to be the problem statement. Did you mean to also attach your work?

Also, your thread title implies that you got a transcendental equation as part of your work. Is that what you mean?

1600183271398.png

berkeman said:
The attachment appears only to be the problem statement. Did you mean to also attach your work?

Also, your thread title implies that you got a transcendental equation as part of your work. Is that what you mean?

View attachment 269440
Sorry about that wrong file , I will correct that.

Likes berkeman
1.png

Here the file i intended on uploading, ignore the first file as it is irrelevant to the question.

Last edited:
Substitute in for ##x## to get an expression involving ##\varepsilon##. Then expand ##e^\varepsilon## as a series to first order. See where that gets you.

Thank you for your help i have figured it out.

Likes vela

Related to Solving Transcendental in Wien's Displacement law

1. What is Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law is a mathematical relationship that describes the wavelength at which a black body emits the maximum amount of radiation. It states that the product of the wavelength at maximum emission and the temperature of the black body is a constant.

2. How is Wien's displacement law used to solve transcendental equations?

Wien's displacement law can be used to solve transcendental equations by setting the equation equal to the constant and then solving for the unknown variable. This is known as the Wien's displacement law method.

3. What are some applications of solving transcendental equations using Wien's displacement law?

Some applications of solving transcendental equations using Wien's displacement law include determining the temperature of a black body based on its emission spectrum, calculating the peak wavelength of light emitted by stars, and analyzing the thermal radiation emitted by objects in space.

4. Are there any limitations to using Wien's displacement law to solve transcendental equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Wien's displacement law to solve transcendental equations. It assumes that the black body is a perfect emitter and that the radiation is in thermal equilibrium. It also does not account for other factors that may affect the emission spectrum, such as absorption and scattering.

5. What other methods can be used to solve transcendental equations besides Wien's displacement law?

Other methods that can be used to solve transcendental equations include the Newton-Raphson method, the bisection method, and the secant method. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of equations or may provide more accurate solutions in certain situations.