Solving Transient Analysis Homework Problem

In summary, The conversation is about solving a circuit problem involving finding the initial and final values of current, as well as the derivatives di(0+)/dt and d2i(0+)/dt2. The individual is seeking clarification on whether the initial and final values of current refer to i(0-) and i(0+), and how to form the equations to solve the problem. They mention their attempt at a solution, including using KVL and differentiating, but are unsure if their answer is correct and ask for confirmation. They also mention making mistakes in their previous attempts and provide a revised solution, including the equations they used and the
ranju

Homework Statement

In the given circuit (voltage source is V) , we have to find initial and final values of current and also di(0+)/dt , di2)0+)/dt , d2i1(0+)/dt2 .
Now , by intial and values of currents , does they mean i(0-) and i(0+) or the discharging or charging current??
nd how to form the equations to solve it out??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

beforing closing the switch , the current across the inductor , say i(0-) = (R1+R2)i2 = i(0+)
when we close the switch , capacitor will be shorted , and inductor will be open-circuited , so the KVL equation in the first loop will be V-i1R=0 by differentiating we get di1(0+)/dt = 0 similarly , d2i1(0+)/dt2 =0
how we will solve for di2(0+)/dt and d2i2(0+)/dt2 then..??

Attachments

• IMG_20140928_161938.jpg
    IMG_20140928_161938.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't differentiate your expression for V(0+) to get dV/dt (0+). There is no time information in the expression. You have to arrive at the derivatives by a different technique.

Last edited:
Which technique..?? Please elaborate...

ranju said:
Which technique..?? Please elaborate...
How has this been done in worked examples in your class notes?

If you are asking about class..please don't ask because there's nothing productive being taught..I am studying this topic from book..& in the book they are just using KVL.. & then differentiating..and using the corresponding conditions for inductor and capacitor.. but that is for simple circuits.. but I am not getting how to solve such circuits which I'hv attached..!

You can look at it like this...

Immediately after the switch is closed, with as yet no current through the inductor and its branch, all current from the source is taking the path through the capacitor and R1. With this current charging the capacitor, you can determine what that capacitor's dV/dt would be with such a level of current.

when we close the switch , capacitor will be shorted , and inductor will be open-circuited , so the KVL

Bear in mind that in another circuit, for example, if there was initially current through the inductor before the switch is closed, then that same level of inductor current will continue at t=0+ so that needs to fit in with your concept of the inductor and it being "open circuited".

Last edited:
Actually I worked on this problem and got the correct values... and worked on some more problems..and in of the problem..I just wanted to make it confirm whether my answer is correct or not..Can you please help out in getting me confirmed about it..so that I can move further..
In the circuit (voltage source V0 and current i is flowing across capcitor) ) , we have to find i(0+) , di(0+)/dt , d2i(0+)/dt2.
I got i(0+) =V0/2 , di(0+)/dt = 2V0 & d2i(0+)/dt2 = -3V0/2

Attachments

• IMG_20140930_151203.jpg
    IMG_20140930_151203.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 486
Explain your thinking that led you to decide I(0+) will be Vo/2 .

Connection to the source doesn't occur until t=0. Is that what we are told?

Last edited:
ranju said:
Actually I worked on this problem and got the correct values ...
What were your answers for the first circuit?

for the first circuit I got di1 (0+)/dt = V/L-V/R12C and di2(0+)/dt=V/L..
And in the second circuit...actually I did a mistake the current i(0+) is coming V0/L & I used the conditions at t0+ , inductor open & capacitor short-circuit,, so the current in 1st loop will be zero and in 2nd loop is also zero..
then I wrote the KVL equations in the 2 loops & since these equ. hold in general so they'll hold for t=0+ also.. so at t=0+ I put the values and found it out..
Should I write the equ. also??

ranju said:
for the first circuit I got di1 (0+)/dt = V/L-V/R12C and di2(0+)/dt=V/L.
You need a pair of these ( ) around a denominator in that expression.

And in the second circuit...actually I did a mistake the current i(0+) is coming V0/L & I used the conditions at t0+ , inductor open & capacitor short-circuit,, so the current in 1st loop will be zero and in 2nd loop is also zero..
That's di/dt(0+) = V0/L

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
You need a pair of these ( ) around a denominator in that expression.That's di/dt(0+) = V0/L
I am really sorry , I am doing blunders in typing , Yes it is di(0+)/dt = V0/L

so Is that correct..??

ranju said:
In the circuit (voltage source V0 and current i is flowing across capcitor) ) , we have to find i(0+) , di(0+)/dt , d2i(0+)/dt2.
I got i(0+) =V0/2 , di(0+)/dt = 2V0 & d2i(0+)/dt2 = -3V0/2
Even if there was no inductor, the capacitor current at t=0+ could not be as high as V0/2

I guess You did'nt see the earlier posts.. I said that I did mistake in finding the currents in the 2 loops.. I am getting i(0+) = 0 & di(0+)/dt = V0/L & not V0/2...

ranju said:
I guess You did'nt see the earlier posts.. I said that I did mistake in finding the currents in the 2 loops.. I am getting i(0+) = 0 & di(0+)/dt = V0/L & not V0/2...
V0/L is di/dt for inductor current. This then halves as it divides equally between the two subsequent branches. I'd like to see how you are working these out.

You are not attempting the second derivatives, d²i / dt² ?

previously I'hv done many mistakes in posting my solutions.. and evverything got messed up ..Now I explain the whole thing...
first of all at t=0+ , the inductor is open ckt & capacitor is shorted..so the current in 1st loop will be zero and in 2nd loop is also zero..
then I wrote the KVL equations in the 2 loops & since these equ. hold in general so they'll hold for t=0+ also.. so at t=0+
For 1st loop KVL equ. : V0-2i1R+iR -Ldi1/dt = 0 (I'hv assumed current in 1st loop as i1 )
for t=0+ , V0-2i1(0+)R +i(0+)R=Ldi1(0+)/dt ______(1)
di1(0+)/dt = V0 (R=1ohm & L=1henry )
Again for 2nd loop KVL equ. : -2Rdi/dt -i/C +Rdi1/dt=0
for t=0+ , -i(0+)/C+di1(0+)/dt =2di(0+)/dt _____(2)
di(0+)/dt = V0/2
for d2i(0+)/dt2 , I differentiated equ.2 & 1 once again...
got d2i1(0+)/dt2 = -3V0/2 & d2i(0+) /dt2 = -V0
Now You check what is wrong..??

got d2i1(0+)/dt2 = -3V0/2 & d2i(0+) /dt2 = -V0
Those are the values I calculate, too. http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
so now can we conclude that it is right..? :rolleyes:

ranju said:
so now can we conclude that it is right..? :rolleyes:
Within a 98% confidence interval.

Likes ranju

Related to Solving Transient Analysis Homework Problem

1. How do I approach solving a transient analysis homework problem?

Solving a transient analysis homework problem involves following a specific set of steps. First, you must fully understand the problem and its given conditions. Then, you must write out the differential equations that represent the problem. Next, you need to determine the initial conditions and boundary conditions. Finally, you can use numerical or analytical methods to solve the equations and find the solution.

2. What are the common methods used to solve transient analysis problems?

There are two main methods used to solve transient analysis problems: numerical and analytical methods. Numerical methods involve using algorithms to approximate the solution, such as the Euler method or the Runge-Kutta method. Analytical methods involve solving the equations using mathematical techniques, such as Laplace transforms or separation of variables.

3. How do I determine the initial conditions and boundary conditions for a transient analysis problem?

Initial conditions are the values of the variables at the starting point of the problem. These can be given in the problem statement or can be determined from the physical conditions of the problem. Boundary conditions are the values of the variables at the boundaries of the problem, such as at a specific time or location. These are also given in the problem statement or can be determined from physical conditions.

4. What is the importance of transient analysis in scientific research?

Transient analysis is important in scientific research because it allows us to study systems that change over time. Many real-world problems involve dynamic processes that cannot be accurately described by steady-state analysis. Transient analysis helps us understand and predict the behavior of these systems, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving transient analysis homework problems?

Some tips for solving transient analysis homework problems include clearly understanding the problem and its given conditions, double-checking your calculations and equations, using units consistently, and practicing with different types of problems. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and work through each step systematically. If you are struggling, don't hesitate to seek help from your professor or classmates.