Solving Transistor in Cutoff: Vtp=-0.4V

• Thread starter carnot cycle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, the threshold voltage (Vtp) of a p-channel transistor can be determined by using the equation Vsg + Vtp = Vsd(sat). In this specific case, since the gate-source voltage is 0V and the threshold voltage is -0.4V, the saturation voltage is also -0.4V. However, if the drain voltage (Vsd) is greater than the saturation voltage, the transistor is actually in cutoff mode, not saturation mode. This is because the gate-source voltage is zero, which is greater than the threshold voltage, causing the transistor to be in cutoff mode.
carnot cycle

Homework Statement

The threshold voltage (Vtp) of this p-channel transistor is -0.4V. Determine the region of operation of this transistor.

Homework Equations

Vsg + Vtp = Vsd(sat)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the gate-source voltage is 0V, and the threshold voltage is -0.4V, the saturation voltage should be -0.4V. The source is at 2.2V, and the drain terminal is connected to ground potential. Because this Vsd is greater than the saturation voltage that I found using the above equation, I thought this transistor was in saturation mode. However, the book's answer says that the transistor is in cutoff because the gate-source voltage is zero.

I thought that if the gate-source voltage (0V) is greater than the threshold voltage (-0.4V), the transistor could not be in cutoff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This seems like a very easy problem, but I have just started studying transistors so I am still trying to conceptually grasp them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 7.56.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 7.56.30 PM.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
Define Vsg as Vs - Vg. Then a p channel MOSFET is always in cutoff when Vsg < Vt where I define Vt to always be positive. Look again at your equations for cutoff, saturation and linear modes.

Related to Solving Transistor in Cutoff: Vtp=-0.4V

What is the meaning of Vtp=-0.4V?

Vtp refers to the threshold voltage of a transistor, which is the minimum amount of voltage required for the transistor to turn on and start conducting. A negative value for Vtp means that the transistor will be in cutoff mode, where it is not conducting any current.

Why is it important to solve for Vtp=-0.4V in a transistor?

Solving for Vtp=-0.4V is important because it helps determine the operating characteristics of the transistor. In cutoff mode, the transistor is not conducting any current, which can affect the overall performance of a circuit. By solving for Vtp, we can ensure that the transistor is functioning properly and meeting the design requirements.

How is Vtp=-0.4V calculated?

Vtp is typically calculated using the transistor's physical characteristics and the circuit's operating conditions. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the voltage at which the transistor switches from cutoff to active mode. The specific calculation method may vary depending on the type of transistor and circuit being analyzed.

What factors can affect the value of Vtp=-0.4V?

The value of Vtp can be affected by various factors such as temperature, doping levels, and material properties. Any changes in these factors can alter the threshold voltage and potentially lead to a different value for Vtp. It is important to consider these factors when designing and analyzing circuits using transistors.

What are some potential problems that can arise from Vtp=-0.4V in a transistor?

If the value of Vtp is not accurately determined or is outside of the desired range, it can lead to issues such as unstable behavior, excessive power consumption, and circuit failure. In some cases, the transistor may not turn on at all if the value of Vtp is too high or too low. Therefore, it is crucial to solve for Vtp and ensure it is within the desired range for proper circuit operation.