Solving Transport Eq. for Level Curves: x=X(t)

• MHB
  • Thread starter simo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transport
In summary, the conversation discusses a PDE equation and the desire to find a differential equation for level curves x=X(t) in order to solve for the initial point x0=X(0). The approach involves finding curves where u is constant and introducing a new variable r. The conversation also mentions the solution x(t) = sinh-1(sinhx0ec(0)t) and discusses a simpler way of writing it.
simo1
I have this equation
ux(x,t) + c(x)ux(x,t) = 0 x>0

I want to obtain information on how the initial input uo(x)=u(x,o) would deform when the sound speed is not constant. c(x) is the sound speedi wanted to start this by finding a DE for the level curves x=X(t) so that i can solve in terms the initial point x0=X(0)(greater than or equal to) 0

but how can i solve for these level curves

Physics news on Phys.org
simo said:
I have this equation...

$\displaystyle u_{t}\ (x,t) + c(x)\ u_{x}\ (x,t) = 0,\ x>0$

I want to obtain information on how the initial input uo(x)=u(x,o) would deform when the sound speed is not constant. c(x) is the sound speedi wanted to start this by finding a DE for the level curves x=X(t) so that i can solve in terms the initial point x0=X(0)(greater than or equal to) 0

but how can i solve for these level curves

The standard approach for a PDE like...

$\displaystyle u_{t} + c(x,t)\ u_{x} = 0\ (1)$

... is to find curves along which u is constant. If we introduce a new variable r for which is $t=t(r)$ and $x=x(r)$ , then for chaining rule is...

$\displaystyle \frac{d u}{d r} = u_{t}\ \frac {d t}{d r} + u_{x}\ \frac{d x}{d r}\ (2)$

... and combining (1) and (2) we arrive to the ODE pair...

$\displaystyle \frac{d t}{d r} = 1,\ \frac{d x}{d r}= c(x,r)\ (3)$

In Your case c(*) is function of the x alone so that is...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{c(x)} = r + \gamma\ (4)$

... where $\gamma$ is an arbitrary constant...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The standard approach for a PDE like...

$\displaystyle u_{t} + c(x,t)\ u_{x} = 0\ (1)$

... is to find curves along which u is constant. If we introduce a new variable r for which is $t=t(r)$ and $x=x(r)$ , then for chaining rule is...

$\displaystyle \frac{d u}{d r} = u_{t}\ \frac {d t}{d r} + u_{x}\ \frac{d x}{d r}\ (2)$

... and combining (1) and (2) we arrive to the ODE pair...

$\displaystyle \frac{d t}{d r} = 1,\ \frac{d x}{d r}= c(x,r)\ (3)$

In Your case c(*) is function of the x alone so that is...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{c(x)} = r + \gamma\ (4)$

... where $\gamma$ is an arbitrary constant...Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
I solved the equation and I had x(t) = sinh-1(sinhx0ec(0)t) is it possible to draw the characteristic curve of this function

simo said:
I solved the equation and I had x(t) = sinh-1(sinhx0ec(0)t)...

Ehm!... what's the reason why You don't write simply $\displaystyle x= x_{0}\ e^{\ c(0)\ t}$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

and how can i use the information to understand the deformation of the initial input uo(x) when the sound speed is not constant?

As a scientist, you are attempting to solve the transport equation for level curves using the given equation. The first step would be to find a differential equation for the level curves x=X(t). This can be done by taking the derivative of x=X(t) with respect to t, giving us dx/dt = dX/dt.

Next, we can substitute this into the given equation to obtain:

dX/dt * ux(X(t),t) + c(X(t)) * ux(X(t),t) = 0

We can then rearrange this equation to solve for ux(X(t),t):

ux(X(t),t) = -c(X(t)) * dX/dt

This equation gives us the value of ux at any point (X(t), t) on the level curve x=X(t). We can use this information to understand how the initial input uo(x) would deform when the sound speed is not constant.

To do this, we can consider a specific point x0=X(0) on the level curve. At this point, the initial input uo(x0) would be the value of uo at x0. As we move along the level curve, the sound speed c(x) and the derivative dX/dt will change, causing the value of ux(X(t),t) to change. This change in ux(X(t),t) will then affect the value of uo(x) at x0, resulting in a deformation of the initial input.

By solving the transport equation for level curves, we can obtain information on how the initial input uo(x) would deform when the sound speed is not constant. This can help us understand the behavior of the system and make predictions for future scenarios.

FAQ: Solving Transport Eq. for Level Curves: x=X(t)

1. What is the purpose of solving transport equations for level curves?

Solving transport equations for level curves allows us to visualize the movement of a particular quantity over time. This can be useful in a variety of scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, meteorology, and economics.

2. How do you solve transport equations for level curves?

To solve a transport equation for level curves, you must first determine the initial conditions and the governing equation for the quantity being studied. Then, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or method of characteristics, you can find the solution for the level curves.

3. Can transport equations for level curves be applied to any type of system?

Yes, transport equations for level curves can be applied to any system that involves the movement of a quantity over time. This can include physical systems like fluids and gases, as well as abstract systems like economic models or population dynamics.

4. What information can be obtained from solving transport equations for level curves?

Solving transport equations for level curves can provide insight into the behavior of the quantity being studied. It can reveal patterns, trends, and changes over time, as well as help identify critical points and potential areas of instability.

5. Are there any limitations to solving transport equations for level curves?

While solving transport equations for level curves can provide valuable information, it does have its limitations. It assumes a continuous and well-behaved system, and may not accurately capture abrupt changes or discontinuities. Additionally, the results may be sensitive to small errors in the initial conditions or governing equation.

Back