Solving Trig Equation: Find the Answer Quickly

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation $(\sec^4 x +16)^2=2^{12}(4\tan x+1)$ and whether there is a faster approach than using the Newton-Raphson method. The suggestion is to use the substitution $\sec^2{(x)} = 1 + \tan^2{(x)}$ to simplify the equation. The person asking the question has already used this method but is hoping for a shortcut as it still leads to a complex polynomial and relies on the Newton-Raphson method for approximate answers.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

Do you think this problem can be approached wisely, rather than expanding it and attack it using the Newton-Raphson method (which I did)?

Problem:

Solve $(\sec^4 x +16)^2=2^{12}(4\tan x+1)$

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate it if in case, you could solve it using shortcut that I failed to acknowledge and share it with me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hi MHB,

Do you think this problem can be approached wisely, rather than expanding it and attack it using the Newton-Raphson method (which I did)?

Problem:

Solve $(\sec^4 x +16)^2=2^{12}(4\tan x+1)$

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate it if in case, you could solve it using shortcut that I failed to acknowledge and share it with me.

Well writing $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sec^2{(x)} = 1 + \tan^2{(x)} \end{align*}$ so that the equation is only in terms of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{(x)} \end{align*}$ would be a start :)

Prove It said:
Well writing $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sec^2{(x)} = 1 + \tan^2{(x)} \end{align*}$ so that the equation is only in terms of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{(x)} \end{align*}$ would be a start :)

Thanks, Prove It for your reply. In fact, I solved this problem by using that substitution. I am hoping if you or anyone could find a short cut to approach the problem, since the substitution method led to a more complex polynomial and I at last have to rely wholly on the Newton-Raphson method to find the approximate answers to this problem...(Thinking)

FAQ: Solving Trig Equation: Find the Answer Quickly

What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are commonly used to solve problems related to angles and triangles.

How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the solution.

What are the common methods for solving trigonometric equations?

The most common methods for solving trigonometric equations include factoring, substitution, and the use of trigonometric identities. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the solutions.

What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations quickly?

One tip for solving trigonometric equations quickly is to familiarize yourself with the common trigonometric identities and their properties. It is also helpful to practice using different methods to solve equations, so you can choose the most efficient one for each problem.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, making errors when using inverse trigonometric functions, and not simplifying the equation before solving.