Solving trigonometric equations with a specific range

In summary, to solve the given equation in radians within the range of -180 to 180, one can use the unit circle to find the solutions of 45 degrees in either the 2nd or 3rd quadrant. The solutions can be expressed as positive and negative angles, such as 3pi/4 and -3pi/4, keeping in mind that positive angles are measured counter-clockwise and negative angles are measured clockwise. Additionally, one can use the fact that for any solution θ = ψ, θ = ψ + 2πn is also a solution for any integer n, to find corresponding solutions within
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

Given that -180 <= x <= 180, solve the following equation in radians
cosx = -1/sqrt(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure how to solve this question with respect to the range -180 <= x <= 180. I know that -1/sqrt(2) means that x is 45 degrees in either the 2nd or 3rd quadrant but I do not know how to proceed from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:
-1/sqrt(2) means that x is 45 degrees in either the 2nd or 3rd quadrant.
Quite so. Can you write the complete sets of possible solutions in terms of an unknown integer n?

I thought the 3rd quadrant was between 180deg and 270deg? Isn't that outside the range? ;)
Of course, taking x as cyclic, then +180 to +270 is also -90 to -180.
What is the value of x when the angle is "45 degrees in the second quadrant"?

I'd have suggested sketching the cosine function for the range... ##-\pi \leq x \leq \pi##
(since the answer should be in radians...) but I'm interested in where haruspex is going.

If you start at -180, then trace the unit circle counter clockwise, what's the first point you get to that satisfies the equation, while still staying in the range of being less than 180 degrees? This is kind of a confusing range, because -180 and 180 exist at the same point in the unit circle, but there is a value between the two that satisfies.

needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

Given that -180 <= x <= 180, solve the following equation in radians
cosx = -1/sqrt(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure how to solve this question with respect to the range -180 <= x <= 180. I know that -1/sqrt(2) means that x is 45 degrees in either the 2nd or 3rd quadrant but I do not know how to proceed from there.
Draw the unit circle and see what it means "45 degrees in the second or third quadrant?" 45 with respect to what?
Remember, positive angles are measured from the positive horizontal axis anti-clockwise, the negative angles are measured clockwise.

ehild

Attachments

• anglesinunitcicle.JPG
    anglesinunitcicle.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 488
Simon Bridge said:
I thought the 3rd quadrant was between 180deg and 270deg? Isn't that outside the range? ;)
Well, it's also between 540 degrees and 630 degrees, and between 900 degrees and 990 degrees, ... Unless you want call those the 7th and 11th quadrants, etc.

haruspex said:
Well, it's also between 540 degrees and 630 degrees, and between 900 degrees and 990 degrees, ... Unless you want call those the 7th and 11th quadrants, etc.
... etc etc etc :)

Well if I start from -180 and proceed clockwise how is it possible for me to ever reach 180 because the most clockwise I go I will just be going into more negative numbers -180, -270, -360. Also the way I got 45 degrees in a either the 2nd or 3rd quadrant is by using special triangles and the cast rule.

needingtoknow said:
Well if I start from -180 and proceed clockwise how is it possible for me to ever reach 180 because the most clockwise I go I will just be going into more negative numbers -180, -270, -360. Also the way I got 45 degrees in a either the 2nd or 3rd quadrant is by using special triangles and the cast rule.
You need to start at -180, and proceed COUNTERclockwise. The range states -180<x<180

Start at -180, and proceed in the direction that is going to cover the values that are greater than -180, which is counter clockwise. Remember that you're dealing in negative values. For example, 270 degrees on the unit circle is the same as -90 degrees. Which is greater than -180. Then you just keep going until you find a value(s) that satisfies the equation, while still being less than positive 180 degrees.

Last edited:
Oh the interactive circle makes it so much more clearer. Essentially there are two solutions to this problem but can only be achieved through a positive angle and a negative angle because for example the two angle I would get would be 135 and 225 but since 225 is greater than 180 I have to rewrite it as -135 or 3pi/4 and -3pi/4. Many thanks to all!

You got it. You're welcome. :)

Likes 1 person
I'll spell out where I was going with this since I feel it may help in more complex variations.
If θ = ψ is one solution then θ = ψ + 2πn is also a solution for any integer n. So here you have a third quadrant solution, 5π/4, and want a corresponding solution in (-π, +π]. Solve -π < 5π/4 + 2πn <= +π: -4 < 5 + 8n <= 4; -9 < 8n <= -1; n = -1.

FAQ: Solving trigonometric equations with a specific range

1. How do I know which trigonometric function to use when solving an equation with a specific range?

When solving for an unknown angle within a specific range, you should first determine if the angle falls within the range of sine, cosine, or tangent. For example, if the range is between 0 and 360 degrees, you would use sine or cosine. If the range is between -90 and 90 degrees, you would use tangent.

2. What is the process for solving trigonometric equations with a specific range?

The process for solving trigonometric equations with a specific range involves isolating the trigonometric function, applying inverse trigonometric functions, simplifying, and then checking for extraneous solutions. It is important to pay attention to the given range and adjust your solutions accordingly.

3. How do I handle equations with multiple trigonometric functions when solving for a specific range?

When dealing with equations that involve multiple trigonometric functions, it is important to use identities and algebraic manipulations to reduce the equation to one trigonometric function. From there, you can follow the same process as a single function equation to solve for the unknown angle within the given range.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations with a specific range?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations with a specific range. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (either degrees or radians) and that you are familiar with the inverse trigonometric function buttons on your calculator.

5. How do I know if my solution is valid for the given range?

To check if your solution is valid for the given range, you can substitute your answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is valid. If not, then it is considered an extraneous solution and should be discarded.