Solving Two Parabola Problems: Proving & Finding Values

• Thread starter varunKanpur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the conversation is about two problems involving parabolas and finding the intersection points between tangents and normals. The first problem involves proving that the normal to a parabola intersects the parabola again at a specific angle, while the second problem involves finding the values of a where tangents drawn from a point not on the y-axis will be normals to another parabola. The key to solving both problems is to use equations of parabolas and normals.
varunKanpur
I am not able to solve the following problem

#1) Prove that the normal to parabola y2=4ax at (am2,-2am) intersects the parabola again at an angle tan-1(m/2)

What I am thinking is to solve the equation of parabola and equation of normal y=mx-am-3-2am simultaneously and at that point I will find the slope of tangent and will get the angle between tangent and normal. The problem is that answer is not coming.

#2) For what values of a will the tangents drawn to parabola y2=4ax from a point , not on the y-axis, will be normals to the parabola x2=4y?

I have no idea on how to solve this question
Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the first one to begin with.

Please show your working?
Show each step with your reasoning.
It can hep to reverse the roles of the x and y axes.

The key to the second one is to rewrite the problem statement in maths.
i.e. a point not on the y-axis is point ##p=(p_x,p_y): p_x\neq 0##

I got the #1 problem, I was making it more lengthy.

OK - so what about #2?
Same suggestions.

I would approach these problems by first understanding the concepts and equations involved. In the first problem, the equation of a parabola is given as y2=4ax, where a is a constant. The point of interest is (am2,-2am), which is on the parabola. The problem asks to prove that the normal to this point intersects the parabola again at an angle of tan-1(m/2).

To solve this, we can use the equation of a normal to a parabola, which is y=mx-am-3-2am. We can substitute the coordinates of the given point into this equation to get the slope of the tangent at that point. From there, we can calculate the angle between the tangent and the normal using trigonometric functions.

In the second problem, we are given two parabolas, y2=4ax and x2=4y, and we need to find the values of a for which the tangents drawn to the first parabola from a point not on the y-axis will be normals to the second parabola. To solve this, we can use the equation of a tangent to a parabola, which is y=mx+a/m. We can then set this equation equal to the equation of the normal to the second parabola, which is y=-1/mx+2/m. By solving for a and setting the discriminant of the resulting quadratic equation equal to 0, we can find the values of a that satisfy this condition.

In both problems, it is important to understand the equations and concepts involved and to use algebra and trigonometry to solve them. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to better visualize the problem and the relationships between the different elements.

FAQ: Solving Two Parabola Problems: Proving & Finding Values

1. How do you solve a two parabola problem?

To solve a two parabola problem, you need to first identify the two parabolas and their equations. Then, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the x-values that make the equations equal. These x-values will be the points where the two parabolas intersect.

2. How do you prove that two parabolas intersect?

In order to prove that two parabolas intersect, you can substitute the x-values of the intersection points into both equations and show that they produce the same y-value. This proves that the two parabolas intersect at those points.

3. What information do you need to find the values of a two parabola problem?

To find the values of a two parabola problem, you will need the equations of the two parabolas, as well as the x-values of the points where the two parabolas intersect. These values can be found by solving the equations simultaneously.

4. How many solutions can a two parabola problem have?

A two parabola problem can have 0, 1, or 2 solutions. If the two parabolas do not intersect, there will be no solutions. If they intersect at one point, there will be one solution. And if they intersect at two points, there will be two solutions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving two parabola problems?

There are a few shortcuts that can be used to solve two parabola problems, such as using the vertex form of the parabola equation or using the discriminant to determine the number of solutions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving these problems rather than relying solely on shortcuts.