Solving V and eV Questions: Work Function & Threshold Frequency

• Thread starter dangsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ev
In summary, the problem involves incident light of a specific wavelength and the stopping potential for emitted electrons of 0.36 volts. To find the maximum energy of the photoelectron, the work function and threshold frequency, the stopping potential needs to be converted to eV by multiplying it by the charge of an electron. This can be used to calculate the energy of the electron. However, volts and eV are fundamentally different units and should not be confused.
dangsy

Homework Statement

Light of the wavelength Lambda = 5893 Angstrom is incident on a surface. The stopping potential for the emitted electrons is 0.36 volt. Calc the max energy of the photoelectron, the work function and threshold frequency.

my question is about the stopping potential, the problem is given in volts, how do I convert to eV? does "emitted electrons" indicate it as an Electron volt in words, so that the eV would be 0.36?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well volts and eV are fundamentally different

an eV is energy, you could, for example, express it in joules if you wanted to

a volt is a unit of potential difference

An eV is how much energy an electron would have after being accelerated across one volt of potential difference

If I took the 0.36V and multiplies by e = (1.6E-19) would that give me an eV? I'm also not understanding your explanation very well, is there any other way to put it?

Thanks!

dangsy said:
If I took the 0.36V and multiplies by e = (1.6E-19) would that give me an eV?
Yes, that tells you how many Joules in 0.36eV.

so...just to make sure...

if I'm given volts I can multiply by e (1.6E-19) to get eV?

so 0.36V x 1.6E-19 = 5.76E-20eV?

Thanks!

No, 0.36eV = 5.76E-20 J

But if the problem gives Volts as in "The stopping potential for the emitted electrons is 0.36 volt"

how do I get eV out of this?

Then the electron energy associated with this potential is 0.36eV, which as you have shown is 5.76E-20 J. Generally energy = charge * potential.

Related to Solving V and eV Questions: Work Function & Threshold Frequency

What is the work function in V and eV questions?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a metal surface. It is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or volts (V).

How is the work function related to the threshold frequency?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required to cause the emission of electrons from a metal surface. The work function is directly related to the threshold frequency, with the equation: work function = Planck's constant x threshold frequency.

What is the significance of solving V and eV questions in science?

Solving V and eV questions is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials and their interaction with light. It is also crucial in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.

How can I determine the work function experimentally?

The work function can be determined experimentally by measuring the energy of the emitted electrons using a photoelectric effect setup. By varying the frequency of the incident light, the threshold frequency can be determined, and the work function can be calculated using the equation mentioned above.

Can the work function of a material be changed?

Yes, the work function of a material can be changed by altering its surface conditions or by applying an external electric field. This phenomenon is known as the photoelectric effect and has many practical applications, such as in solar cells and photodiodes.