Solving Vector Problems with Law of Sines and Pythagorean Theorem

• Thread starter coolkid26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves a person walking 10m north and then 18m at an angle of 30 degrees east of south. Using the law of sines, the x and y components of the second vector can be calculated as x2=9 and y2=15.59. Combining these with the x and y components of the first vector, the total x and y components are found to be 9 and 23.59, respectively. Using inverse tangent, the angle of the resulting triangle is found to be 69.1 degrees, and using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude of the vector is found to be 25.25m.
coolkid26

Homework Statement

So a person walks 10m north, and then walks 18m at a degree of east of south. What is the magnitude and velocity? (Length and angle measure)

Homework Equations

Law of sines
Pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

So I split up this problem into two vectors. The first vector is the guy walking north. So his y=8. His x=0 because he doesn't go anywhere in the x direction. Next I created a triangle to figure out the second vector. We know that the angle at the top of the triangle is 30 degrees. The hypotenuse is 18, and at the left bottom side of the triangle is a right angle (connecting the end of the hypotenuse to the y axis. After doing the law of sines the x2 (x of second vector) is 9. y2=15.59. Now I added the x's to get x total (xt) and the y total (yt). xt=9, yt=23.59. Then with these numbers i created a new triangle and did the inverse tan of 23.59 over 9 to get an angle measure of 69.1. Then pythagorean theorem will get me the hypotenuse of this triangle which is 25.25 and the magnitude of the vector. Am i doing this right? I just have a feeling I am not. Thank you for all your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like this?
coolkid.jpg

I would say that your approach seems to be correct. You have used the Law of Sines and Pythagorean Theorem to solve for the magnitude and direction of the second vector. However, I would recommend double checking your calculations and using units (meters) throughout the problem to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and your solutions. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of vector problems and how to solve them using these mathematical principles. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Solving Vector Problems with Law of Sines and Pythagorean Theorem

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It is often represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their individual components (x and y). Then, simply add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resulting vector. For example, if vector A is (3, 5) and vector B is (1, 2), the resulting vector when adding them would be (3+1, 5+2) = (4, 7).

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity as it only describes how fast something is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity as it describes both the speed and direction of motion.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. To find the magnitude, simply take the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, if vector A is (3, 4), the magnitude would be √(3²+4²) = √(9+16) = √25 = 5.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the change in position from a starting point to an ending point. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the total length of the path traveled, regardless of direction. For example, if someone walks 5 meters north and then 5 meters south, their displacement would be 0 meters, but their distance traveled would be 10 meters.

Back