Solving Water Pressure Problems: Guidance for Parts B and C

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the pressure and speed of water flowing through a uniform pipe. Part (a) asks for the pressure at the exit opening of the pipe, which is determined to be equal to atmospheric pressure. Parts (b) and (c) involve using Bernoulli's principle to calculate the pressure and exit speed at the point where the vertical tube is connected to the pipe. The equation used for this is P1 + (1/2)*density*v1^2 + density*g*y1 = P2 + (1/2)*density*v2^2 + density*g*y2, where P is pressure, density is the density of water, v is velocity, and y is height.
kellyneedshelp
Could anyone offer me some guidance on parts b and c of the following question?

The pressure in a uniform pipe of flowing water is enough to hold up 4.00 m of water in an open, vertical tube as shown in Figure P.60. Assume that water is an ideal fluid. The pipe leads 3.00 m upstairs and empties into the open air through an opening with an area one-fourth that of the uniform pipe.

(a) At the exit opening of the pipe, what is the pressure?
(b) What is the pressure at the point where the vertical tube is connected to the pipe?
(c) What is the exit speed of the water from the pipe?

this is the picture of the problem:
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/5326/p11607ht.gif"

for part (a), i figured b/c the water is open to the air, its pressure is 1 atm (approx. 1.01E5 Pa).

for parts (b) and (c), i think i need to somehow use the equation:
P1 + (1/2)*density*v1^2 + density*g*y1 = P2 + (1/2)*density*v2^2 + density*g*y2

but I'm not sure how to get the velocity or pressure at the point under the 4m opening.

any ideas/hints for me?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i figured this one out, looks like i was on the right track afterall!

I am doing this exact same problem and am also unsure of how to use Bernoulli's principle for b) and c).
Help please.

but I'm not sure how to get the velocity or pressure at the point under the 4m opening.
Pressure P1 = Pa + rho*g*h where Pa atmospheric pressure, rho is the density of water and h = 4m. P2 = Pa

I've gotten the pressure at the opening= P(atmosphere)
I've gotten the pressure under the 4 m opening= 140565=P(atmosphere)+1000(9.81)(4 m)

What is the exit speed of the water from the pipe?? In my case,
The pipe leads 3.00 m upstairs and empties into the open air through an opening with an area one-third that of the uniform pipe."

so we know that A1v1=A2v2 so A1v1=1/3A1v2 and thus 3v1=v2 where v2 is the exit speed and v1=speed in the pipe

how do I set up

Bernoulli's principle to get v1 and thus v2?

P1 + (1/2)*density*v1^2 + density*g*y1 = P2 + (1/2)*density*v2^2 + density*g*y2

Related to Solving Water Pressure Problems: Guidance for Parts B and C

1. What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by the weight of water against the walls of a container or surface. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How is water pressure measured?

Water pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, which is typically attached to a water source such as a faucet or pipe. The gauge measures the force of the water pushing against it and displays the pressure in psi or kPa.

3. What affects water pressure?

Water pressure can be affected by a number of factors, including the elevation and depth of the water source, the amount of water in the source, and the speed and direction of the water flow. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of obstructions in the water source can also affect water pressure.

4. How does water pressure impact plumbing systems?

Water pressure is an important factor in the proper functioning of plumbing systems. Too much water pressure can cause pipes to burst or fixtures to leak, while too little water pressure can result in poor water flow and inadequate water supply. It is important to maintain a safe and consistent water pressure to prevent damage to plumbing systems.

5. Can water pressure be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, water pressure can be controlled and adjusted using pressure regulating valves or pressure tanks. These devices help to maintain a consistent water pressure and prevent it from becoming too high or too low. It is important to regularly check and adjust water pressure to ensure the proper functioning of plumbing systems and prevent damage.