Solving Work and Force of Wagon and Child

• Thread starter physicsballer2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Work
In summary, the child exerts a force of 100 Newtons at a 60 degree angle to the horizontal floor, pulling a wagon a distance of 25 meters. In the direction of motion, the child does 1250 Joules of work and the component of force in that direction is 50 Newtons.
physicsballer2
A child pulls a wagon with a force of 100N on a rope that makes a sixty degree angle with a horizontal floor. He pulls the wagon a distance of 25 meters along the floor. A: how much force is done in the direction that the wagon moves? B: How much work does the child do?

W = FD
W = FDCosθ

A: W = FD

= (100)(25)
= 2500 Joules done in the direction that the wagon moves

B: W = FDCosθ

= (100)(25)Cos60
= 1250 Joules

Did I setup and solve these problems correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
B is right, but A is not. A is looking for a force but you found work.

Is this the force that you are supposed to use for B or are you supposed to use the force that you are supposed to solve for?

physicsballer2 said:
Is this the force that you are supposed to use for B

Yes

or are you supposed to use the force that you are supposed to solve for?

??

Is there a separate equation I need to solve for the force in part A ? I assume the force they are asking for isn't given in the information. Referring to my question above should the 100 N be used for part B or should for force found in part A be used?

physicsballer2 said:
Is there a separate equation I need to solve for the force in part A ? I assume the force they are asking for isn't given in the information. Referring to my question above should the 100 N be used for part B or should for force found in part A be used?
Only force in direction of displacement contributes work. The force applied is at an angle to the horizontal so for part A, you need to find the component of this force in the direction of motion.
You computed B correctly, which means you effectively already have the answer.

I thought I understood your answer but I do not think I did. I used W=FD 1250=F(25)
F=50N

That does not seem correct

Think of your formula for work as W = (Fcosθ)*D

What does Fcosθ represent?

The force in the direction it is being pulled? Which is equal to 50 Joules

physicsballer2 said:
The force in the direction it is being pulled?
Right. Which is what part A asks for.

Which is equal to 50 Joules
Newtons, not Joules. (Newton the unit of force; Joule the unit of energy.)

I guess I solved wrong but got the correct answer? Because I did W = F * Cos60

W = 100 * Cos60
W = 50 joules

I appreciate your patience

physicsballer2 said:
I guess I solved wrong but got the correct answer? Because I did W = F * Cos60
W = F*Cos60*25, not F*Cos60. (Work has units of force*distance, which are Joules; Force has units of Newtons.)

Related to Solving Work and Force of Wagon and Child

1. What is the relationship between work and force?

The relationship between work and force is that work is the product of force and displacement. This means that for a force to do work on an object, the object must move in the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate the work done on a wagon and child?

The work done on a wagon and child can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wagon by the distance it travels. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J). One joule is equal to the work done when a force of one newton is applied to an object and it moves one meter in the direction of the force.

4. Can the work done on a wagon and child be negative?

Yes, the work done on a wagon and child can be negative. This occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in a negative value for work. This typically means that the object is losing energy.

5. How does the weight of the child affect the work done on the wagon?

The weight of the child affects the work done on the wagon by increasing the force needed to move the wagon a certain distance. This is because the weight of the child is a force that must be overcome in order for the wagon to move, thus requiring more work to be done.