Solving Work Needed to Pull Chain On Frictionless Table

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
In summary, a uniform chain with mass m=7.51 kg and length L=8.5 m is held on a frictionless table with a twelfth of its length hanging over the edge. To find the work needed to pull the hanging part back onto the table, energy considerations must be used. Using the energy equation, W=mgh, where h is the height of the center of mass of the hanging part, the work is calculated to be mgh/288. If using integration, the work is calculated to be mgL/288, where L is the length of the hanging part.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A uniform chain has mass m = 7.51 kg and length L = 8.5 m. It is held on a frictionless table with L/12 hanging over the edge. Find the work needed to pull the hanging part back onto the table.

Homework Equations

* Must do the energy considerations!

Let's see...

→½mv²
→mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt?

½ * 1/12 * m * v² = mgd?

Physics news on Phys.org
a twelfth of the chain is hanging over the edge of the table

you want to figure out the work needed to raise that twelfth up onto the table.

Figure out how much mass is in that twelfth and how high it needs to be raised in order to be brought back onto the table.

You only need use mgh not 0.5mv^2.

CWatters said:
You only need use mgh not 0.5mv^2.

Why do you need to use mgh?

SHISHKABOB said:
a twelfth of the chain is hanging over the edge of the table

you want to figure out the work needed to raise that twelfth up onto the table.

Figure out how much mass is in that twelfth and how high it needs to be raised in order to be brought back onto the table.

Then, is it W = 1/12 * mgh?

NasuSama said:
A uniform chain has mass m = 7.51 kg and length L = 8.5 m. It is held on a frictionless table with L/12 hanging over the edge. Find the work needed to pull the hanging part back onto the table.

This is a tricky question! The bottom part of the chain would be the only part where mgh=(infinitesimal fraction of 7.51kg/12)*g*(8.5m/12) would hold true. The top part of the chain would require no work as it is already at table level. The bits in-between would require work proportional to their distances from the table top.

I do believe that without knowing some universal rule, or knowing integral calculus, you'll have to figure out a clever trick to bring all of the mass to one point, without changing the energy of the system, and calculate from there.

That's how I would do it, as I don't know that universal rule, and have forgotten all of my calculus. :redface:

Then, is it W = 1/12 * mgh?

We don't know. You haven't told us what you're using for m, g, and h. If it is the m, g, and h from the original question, then the answer is no. That would only hold true if all of the mass was at the bottom of the chain.

The center of mass of the hanging part of the chain is halfway up that part of the chain. For this kind of problem, you can treat the mass of the chain as concentrated at its center of mass, and use [itex]W=mgh[/itex] with that distance.

If you can use integration, you would simply use [itex]\int^h_0\rho g h' dh'[/itex] where [itex]\rho=M/L[/itex].

frogjg2003 said:
The center of mass of the hanging part of the chain is halfway up that part of the chain. For this kind of problem, you can treat the mass of the chain as concentrated at its center of mass, and use [itex]W=mgh[/itex] with that distance.

If you can use integration, you would simply use [itex]\int^h_0\rho g h' dh'[/itex] where [itex]\rho=M/L[/itex].

How is the center of mass relevant to this problem? I don't see it.

Gravity acts on the center of mass. In most problems where the distribution doesn't change shape and that don't involve torques, you only have to consider forces acting on the center of mass. It's also true for work, since work is just force integrated (or summed) over distance.

Without calculus, it's just...

W = mgh?!

What about the integral part? Is it...

∫^(h' = 0,h) ρgh' dh'
= ∫^(h' = 0,h) mgh'/L dh'
= mgh'²/(2L) | 0,h
= mgh²/(2L)
= mg(L/12)²/(2L)?

Still don't get how to approach this problem. Please help.

Last edited:
Without calculus, the h is the height of the center of mass, (L/12)/2.

You did the integration correct. Both answers give you the same answer of mgL/32.

I brought in center of mass because I wasn't sure if you were doing algebra or calculus based physics. You can just ignore it, since the integral method is more rigorous.

frogjg2003 said:

You did the integration correct. Both answers give you the same answer of mgL/32.

I brought in center of mass because I wasn't sure if you were doing algebra or calculus based physics. You can just ignore it, since the integral method is more rigorous.

Actually, I need to use energy considerations in any of the two methods - algebra or calculus.

Then, it's just...

W = mgL/32
= 7.51 * 9.81 * 8.5 / 32 ≈ 19.6

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
frogjg2003 said:

How is it that you get mgL/32?

My mistake, I was thinking 16, not 12. It should be 24, not 32.

What about this?

∫^(h' = 0,h) ρgh' dh'
= ∫^(h' = 0,h) mgh'/L dh'
= mgh'²/(2L) | 0,h
= mgh²/(2L)
= mg(L/12)²/(2L)
= mgL²/144 / (2L)
= mgL/288

I just can't do math today. I also forgot to account for the fact that only 1/12 of the mass is hanging for the CoM version, so it should be (m/12)g(L/12)/2=mgL/288.

Hah! I'm right about this! It's mgL/288!

1/12th of the mass is hanging at an average of 1/24th L below the table.

1/12 * 1/24 = 1/288

So mgl/288 seems right to me.

Related to Solving Work Needed to Pull Chain On Frictionless Table

1. How do you calculate the work needed to pull a chain on a frictionless table?

The work needed to pull a chain on a frictionless table can be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is the work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

2. What is a frictionless table?

A frictionless table is a hypothetical surface that has no friction, meaning that there is no resistance to motion when objects slide or move across it.

3. How does a frictionless table affect the work needed to pull a chain?

On a frictionless table, there is no resistance to motion, so the work needed to pull a chain will be solely dependent on the force applied and the distance over which it is applied. This means that the work needed will be less compared to a table with friction, where a portion of the work would be used to overcome the resistance caused by friction.

4. Can the work needed to pull a chain on a frictionless table be negative?

No, the work needed to pull a chain on a frictionless table cannot be negative because work is defined as the product of force and distance. Since both force and distance are positive quantities, the work will also be positive.

5. How can the work needed to pull a chain on a frictionless table be minimized?

The work needed to pull a chain on a frictionless table can be minimized by reducing the force applied or by decreasing the distance over which the force is applied. This can be achieved by using a pulley system or by applying the force at an angle instead of directly pulling in a straight line.