Solving (x+1)^2 dx for Integration - Step by Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses forum rules and a question about solving an indefinite integral. The original poster makes an attempt at the solution and asks about the presence of a constant in the final answer. The expert explains that the constant can be absorbed into the arbitrary constant used in indefinite integrals and provides examples to illustrate this concept.
arianemati
Hi, I literally just registered so I have no idea about forum rules, also I'm not good in english.

1. Homework Statement

The equation is (x + 1)^2 dx.

U = (x+1)
DU = 1DX

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here I get (U^3) over 3 times DX = (x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x + 1) over 3 times 1
I simplify to (x^3) over 3 + x^2 + x +1 + C

The answer shows the same as my attempt but without the + 1 at the end. What happened to + 1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it should be +1/3, not +1. Secondly, it gets absorbed into the C.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
First of all, it should be +1/3, not +1. Secondly, it gets absorbed into the C.

Chet
Ahhh, Thanks! I think I get it now, and you're right, it should be +1/3. So, basically whenever we have a constant we can just absorb it into the C? What if it was -1 instead of +1?

arianemati said:
Ahhh, Thanks! I think I get it now, and you're right, it should be +1/3. So, basically whenever we have a constant we can just absorb it into the C? What if it was -1 instead of +1?

The indefinite integral you're solving is basically asking the question, what is the function F such that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}F(x)=(x+1)^2[/tex]

Now, [itex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^3/3+x^2+x)=(x+1)^2[/itex] so that is a valid answer, but it also turns out that we can add any constant (whether we know its value or not) and still end up with the same result after taking the derivative.

Examples of valid constants

[tex]+C[/tex]
[tex]-C[/tex]
[tex]+1+C[/tex]
[tex]-1+C[/tex]
[tex]+K+C[/tex]
[tex]+C_1-C_2+\pi+\log_2{3}-10^{100}\sin{5}[/tex]

I hope you get the idea. ANY number or group of numbers that are constants will essentially still be constant, and since it's customary to denote any arbitrary constant by C when calculating indefinite integrals, then you can merge whatever constants are left over in your result into the C. What is a little iffy however is if you end up with your result of 1/3+C and then decide to merge the 1/3 into C. It's allowed because C is a dummy constant that has no hidden value (unlike a variable when solving an equation), but your teacher might look down upon it. If you were ever disqualified in an exam for it though, you'd have a strong case to argue for the mark.

Related to Solving (x+1)^2 dx for Integration - Step by Step Guide

1. What is the purpose of "(x+1)^2 dx" in mathematics?

"(x+1)^2 dx" is known as a differential form, which is used in mathematics to represent a function with respect to a variable. In this case, the function is (x+1)^2 and the variable is x. This notation is commonly used in calculus and differential geometry.

2. How do you solve an integral involving "(x+1)^2 dx"?

To solve an integral involving "(x+1)^2 dx", you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use online integral calculators or consult integral tables for common integrals.

3. Can "(x+1)^2 dx" be simplified or expanded?

Yes, "(x+1)^2 dx" can be expanded to x^2 + 2x + 1 dx and it can be simplified to (x+1) dx. However, it is important to note that this may not always be necessary or helpful in solving integrals involving this differential form.

4. How is "(x+1)^2 dx" used in real-life applications?

"(x+1)^2 dx" is used in various real-life applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area/volume calculations.

5. Are there any other notations for "(x+1)^2 dx"?

Yes, there are other notations for "(x+1)^2 dx" such as f(x)dx, d(x+1)^2, and d(x+1)^2/dx. These notations may vary in different fields of mathematics, but they all represent the same concept of a differential form.