Some Electric Potential energy questions

In summary, the potential at q is U = k \frac{1}{r} where k is a constant that does not matter here. The potential at q if q is at spatial infinity is U = k \frac{1}{r}
wr1015
A charge of 3.19 µC is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 3.19 µC is released from rest at the position (1.15 m, 0.530 m) .

(a) If the mass of the second charge is 3.10 g, what is its speed when it moves infinitely far from the origin?

ok so I've broken it up into x and y components and used pythagorean theorem to find the line that represents the force that the second charge exerts on the fixed charged [tex]\sqrt{1.15^2 + .530^2}[/tex] and my answer was 1.266 m. Then i used tan[tex]^-1[/tex] (.530/1.15) to find theta which came out to be 11.98[tex]^0[/tex]. Then i calculated 1.266 (cos 11.98) for the positive x-direction and 1.266(sin 11.98) for the positive y-direction and i got 1.2384 m for the x and .26278 m for the y. Then i plugged those values back into pythagorean theorem again to find the net force [tex]\sqrt{.26278^2 + 1.2384^2}[/tex] and got 1.2666N. Then i used the Force per unit charge to find the net electric field and got (1.2666/3.19E-6) = 3.97E5 and multiplied by 2 since there are 2 charges and got 7.94E5 as my net electric field. And then i plugged that value into [tex]\sqrt{2q\Delta V/m}[/tex] to find velocity. Obviously I'm doing something wrong somewhere because I'm not getting the right answer... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the right answer ?

Hint : what is the potential if the charge is that far away from the first charge.

marlon

marlon said:
What's the right answer ?

Hint : what is the potential if the charge is that far away from the first charge.

marlon

well that's what I'm trying to figure out..

Well,

what's the forumula for the potential ?

Again, what's the right answer ? You told in your first post that you keep getting the wrong answer ? How do you know this ?

marlon

marlon said:
Well,

what's the forumula for the potential ?

Again, what's the right answer ? You told in your first post that you keep getting the wrong answer ? How do you know this ?

marlon

formula for potential is [tex]\Delta U/q[/tex] but don't you have to figure out net electric field first since [tex]\Delta U = qEd[/tex] ??

i'm using webassign so the answers i keep entering are wrong

Last edited:
wr1015 said:
formula for potential is [tex]\Delta U/q[/tex] but don't you have to figure out net electric field first since [tex]\Delta U = qEd[/tex] ??

i'm using webassign so the answers i keep entering are wrong
The formula for the potential of a charge q felt at a distance r is [tex]U = k \frac{1}{r}[/tex] where k is a constant that does not matter here. Now, what's the U if q is at spatial infinity ?

It is important to understand the concept of potential (which is the aim of your exercise). A potential is actually potential energy per unit of electric charge. So two electric charges q1 and q2 have potential energy [tex]k \frac{q1*q2}{r}[/tex] where r is the distance between those two charges. If you divide this expression by, let's say, q1 you get the potential of q2. This potential, actually is a measure of how big the interaction (ie the magnitude of the potential energy) with an electrical charge will be if you put some charge q1 on a distance r from q2.

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
The formula for the potential of a charge q felt at a distance r is [tex]U = k \frac{1}{r}[/tex] where k is a constant that does not matter here. Now, what's the U if q is at spatial infinity ?

It is important to understand the concept of potential (which is the aim of your exercise). A potential is actually potential energy per unit of electric charge. So two electric charges q1 and q2 have potential energy [tex]k \frac{q1*q2}{r}[/tex] where r is the distance between those two charges. If you divide this expression by, let's say, q1 you get the potential of q2. This potential, actually is a measure of how big the interaction (ie the magnitude of the potential energy) with an electrical charge will be if you put some charge q1 on a distance r from q2.

marlon

thank you for your help, i understand now..

Related to Some Electric Potential energy questions

1. What is Electric Potential Energy?

Electric Potential Energy is the energy that results from the interaction of charged particles in an electric field. It is a type of potential energy, meaning it is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. How is Electric Potential Energy calculated?

The formula for calculating Electric Potential Energy is E = qV, where E is the potential energy in joules, q is the charge of the particle in coulombs, and V is the potential difference in volts.

3. What is the difference between Electric Potential Energy and Electric Potential?

Electric Potential Energy is the energy stored in a system, while Electric Potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. In other words, Electric Potential is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a specific location.

4. How does Electric Potential Energy affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles will move in the direction of decreasing Electric Potential Energy. This means that they will naturally move from areas of higher potential energy to areas of lower potential energy in an electric field.

5. Can Electric Potential Energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, Electric Potential Energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. When a charged particle moves from a higher potential energy to a lower potential energy, it gains kinetic energy, and vice versa. This is the basis for many electrical devices, such as batteries and generators.