Some Help With My Ticker-Timer Experiment

• Thread starter Adam SE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, a student is struggling with creating a v-t graph from a d-t graph in a physics experiment. They have tried using the tangent method, but are having trouble with accuracy. They are unsure when to stop drawing the tangent.
Adam SE

Homework Statement

Hi, I recently preformed a ticker timer experiment in my grade 11 physics class, and I seem to be having a bit of trouble with the assignment.

Our results were recorded as follows.

Time (s)|Distance (cm)
0|0
0.1|6.15
0.2|21.35
0.3|43.15
0.4|71.55

I am supposed to create a d-t graph which I have done, and then create a v-t graph and a-t graph. I am having troubles getting from the d-t graph to the v-t graph. I am aware of using the tangents of each points, but I cannot seem to do this correctly, as my results are always incorrect. So I need to find a way to find the instantaneous velocity for each time segment, that way I can plot the v-t graph.

Homework Equations

I am not positive which equations can be used, other than the tangent method, but as I previously stated, I am doing this incorrectly and would greatly prefer an equation (if possible) for the instantaneous speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried finding the instantaneous velocity by using v = d/t (for example, v = 6.15/.1) but this does not work either because when plotted, the graph is always a curve.

Also, if I were to calculate the acceleration from my results. Would I calculate the average velocity, then divide that by t2 - t1?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated. Also, I am sorry if I used the template incorrectly, this is my first time posting here.

-Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Adam SE, welcome to PF.
You have to draw the tangent at every point very accurately to get the correct v-t graph.
If you are able to post, do so.

Thank you for the response, it is appreciated.

A problem I am having is accuracy, but the biggest problem I have is knowing when to stop the tangent. Do I stop it at the next time segment/axis, or do I stop it until it is enough to measure?

-Adam

Adam SE said:
Thank you for the response, it is appreciated.

A problem I am having is accuracy, but the biggest problem I have is knowing when to stop the tangent. Do I stop it at the next time segment/axis, or do I stop it until it is enough to measure?

-Adam
Draw until it touches the x-axis. Draw a perpendicular from the point to the x-axis and then find tanθ

FAQ: Some Help With My Ticker-Timer Experiment

1. What is a ticker-timer?

A ticker-timer is a scientific instrument used to measure the speed and acceleration of an object. It consists of a timer and a ticker tape, which is a long strip of paper with evenly spaced dots on it. As the object moves, it creates a series of dots on the tape, allowing for the calculation of its velocity and acceleration.

2. How do I set up a ticker-timer experiment?

To set up a ticker-timer experiment, you will need a ticker-timer, a power source, and a moving object. First, connect the power source to the timer. Then, attach the ticker tape to the timer and make sure it flows smoothly through the device. Finally, place the moving object in front of the timer and turn on the power.

3. What are some potential sources of error in a ticker-timer experiment?

Some potential sources of error in a ticker-timer experiment include friction between the ticker tape and the timer, air resistance affecting the movement of the object, and human error in recording the data. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

4. How do I calculate velocity and acceleration from a ticker-timer experiment?

To calculate velocity from a ticker-timer experiment, count the number of dots on the ticker tape and divide by the time interval between each dot. This will give you the average velocity of the object. To calculate acceleration, you will need to take multiple measurements of velocity and use the formula a=(vf-vi)/t, where vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. What are some real-world applications of ticker-timer experiments?

Ticker-timer experiments are commonly used in physics to study the motion of objects. They have practical applications in fields such as engineering, sports science, and transportation. For example, they can be used to analyze the acceleration of a vehicle or the speed of a runner. Ticker-timers are also used in research and development to test the performance of new products and designs.

Back