Some photos of the Moon

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter PhysicsEnjoyer31415
  • Start date
PhysicsEnjoyer31415
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
These are some photos of the moon from back in January end , i apologize for the quality i do not have appropriate gear for astrophotography , i only have a cheap telescope. This is a full moon , the cuts in the photos are due to my hand moving during photographing because i work on a mobile setup :( but enjoy . Thank you
IMG-20240125-WA0019.jpg
20240125_232628.jpg
20240125_233544.jpg
20240125_233548.jpg
20240125_233547.jpg

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, davenn and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Given your minimal rig, aside from the final photo, you caught the mare (seas) quite well.

Likes russ_watters and PhysicsEnjoyer31415
Klystron said:
Given your minimal rig, aside from the final photo, you caught the mare (seas) quite well.
Thank you👍

Did you use a refractor?

Drakkith said:
Did you use a refractor?
Yes a celstron powerseeker 50az refractor

Likes davenn
Here's a collage of photos I took a while back with my old Cannon PowerShot SX510 HS (30x zoom)
moon_collage.JPG

Likes pinball1970, DennisN, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
Janus said:
Here's a collage of photos I took a while back with my old Cannon PowerShot SX510 HS (30x zoom)
View attachment 346272
Nice

Likes sophiecentaur
PhysicsEnjoyer31415 said:
Yes a celestron powerseeker 50az refractor
Awesome start :smile: photographing a full moon is difficult being so bright the image gets over exposed as you can see and that makes seeing details difficult.
do some experimenting with smaller phases of the moon, like with first and last quarter. It's then much easier to photo the crater details, particularly along terminator line ( the line between the lit and unlit parts)

eg ....
1717279856047.png

Likes DennisN and PhysicsEnjoyer31415
PhysicsEnjoyer31415 said:
This is a full moon , the cuts in the photos are due to my hand moving during photographing because i work on a mobile setup :( but enjoy .

@davenn gave a good suggestion above, and I'd like to chime in too... :smile:

1) Which type of phone are you using (i.e. Android or Iphone)?

If you use an Android phone I would suggest a camera app that can be set manually (i.e. mainly manual control of ISO, shutter speed (exposure time)) like this app: Open Camera.

My understanding is that the default camera app of many modern smartphones have manual control, but if yours don't, the Open Camera app is a good one. For Iphones I have no suggestion.

2) Handheld shooting with phones and telescopes is really difficult (I know from experience :biggrin:).

To get a reasonably stable setup, I would suggest the following:

Getting a smartphone/telescope adapter. There are several types like (a) this and (b) this. I think version (a) is better than (b) (at least in my experience).

And when shooting with an adapter, I would shoot with either a delayed capture (i.e. a timer set to a couple of seconds, in order to eliminate the shake from touching the phone/setup. Or use a remote control for photo shooting (there are small, cheap ones available, one example here).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Likes davenn and PhysicsEnjoyer31415
Likes DennisN and PhysicsEnjoyer31415