Some questions about differentiability

In summary, the corollary states that if the partial derivatives of a function are continuous throughout an open region, then the function is differentiable at every point in that region. However, the converse of this statement is not true, as demonstrated by a counterexample. There are books that provide a proof for this corollary, which can be found in advanced calculus or real analysis textbooks. The proof involves using the linear approximation of the function to approximate the surface to any degree.
athrun200
We have a corollary that
"If the partial derivatives [itex]f_{x}[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}[/itex] of a function f(x,y) are continuous throughtout an open region R, then f is differentiable at every point of R."(Thomas F. 1994. Calculus. U.S.A. Wesley p824)

But I wonder can we prove a function is not differentiable by showing that [itex]f_{x}[/itex] or [itex]f_{y}[/itex] are not continuous?
i.e. is the converse of this statement true?

By the way, are there any books have a proof on this corollary?
Most of the Calculus book state the corollary of theorm only without prove.

Physics news on Phys.org
athrun200 said:
We have a corollary that

But I wonder can we prove a function is not differentiable by showing that [itex]f_{x}[/itex] or [itex]f_{y}[/itex] are not continuous?
i.e. is the converse of this statement true?

By the way, are there any books have a proof on this corollary?
Most of the Calculus book state the corollary of theorm only without prove.

The converse is not true. A counterexample is the function defined by f(x,y) = x^2 sin(1/x) for x=/=0 and f(0,y)=0 for all y. For this function, we have fx(x,y) = 2x sin(1/x) - cos(1/x) for x=/=0 and fx(0,y)=0, and fy identically zero. Clearly, fx is not continuous at the y-axis (x=0). But since (x^2 sin (1/x))/ sqrt(x^2 +y^2) tends to 0 as (x,y) tends to (0,0), the function f is differentiable at the origin (and likewise anywhere on the y-axis).

For the proof you wanted, look up any textbook in advanced calculus or real analysis.

Just to comment that the proof is not that hard; the linear approximation is fxΔx+fyΔy, i.e.. this is the equation of the plane that is tangent to the surface. Try showing that you can approximate the surface to any degree you want , i.e., in an ε-δ sense, with the tangent plane as described above.

Thx everyone!

Related to Some questions about differentiability

What is differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is said to be differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

Why is differentiability important?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of functions and calculate rates of change. It is also a crucial concept in calculus and many other branches of mathematics.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related, but not the same. A function is continuous if it has no breaks or jumps in its graph, while a function is differentiable if it has a well-defined slope at every point in its graph.

How can I determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. To determine this, you can use the definition of a derivative or various differentiation rules and techniques.

What are some real-life applications of differentiability?

Differentiability is used in many real-life applications, such as in physics to model motion and calculate velocities and accelerations, in economics to analyze rates of change in production and consumption, and in engineering to optimize designs and processes.