Some questions mostly dealing with large objects in space.

• Thread starter DeadLeaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Light would not be able to curve around in such a way that you could see Earth from Earth. It would be impossible to create an image like that. For #7, the shape of the universe is still a topic of debate and research. Some theories suggest that it is flat, while others suggest it may be curved in some way. And for #8, the shape of the early universe is thought to be due to the uneven distribution of matter and energy after the big bang. I hope this helps answer your questions!
DeadLeaf
I have some questions I was hoping someone could help me with; any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
1) At what size and/or mass do most objects generate enough gravity to be spherical?
2) In high density areas (like in the Keiper belt or whatever) could an object exceed the mass necessary to be spherical but come under so many collisions that it’s in fact nowhere near spherical?
3) I know (or pretty sure I do) the shape of an object in space is effected by what that object is orbiting (such as Titan around Saturn) but if a planet size object were roaming (read: not in an orbit of any sort around any other object) is there a possibility it might not be spherical?
4) Every time I see a book describing space-time it shows a picture of a 3-d sphere sitting on a 2-d plane with the line of light curving along said plane; my question then is: would it be possible for light to bend not only within the little xy-plane shown but also along a z axis as well?
5) Is it possible with the billions of objects out in space for light to curve around for us to look out into the night sky and see Earth from Earth (assuming you had a high enough powered telescope)?
6) I’ve only ever heard of two theories regarding the fate of our universe, the big crunch and the big freeze, and from what I gather the big freeze has won out. But is it possible that everything in the universe is orbiting around the universe’s center of mass but we’re unable to see enough of the universe to make that out?
7) Is the shape of the universe a sphere? I’ve seen pictures of what the universe was supposed to look like in the billionths of a second after the big bang and they show it as an ellipsoid but is that still its shape now?
8) Following up on number 7, assuming the energy of the big bang were spread evenly, why is the early universe an ellipsoid and not a sphere, what propelled some stuff farther than other stuff?
In keeping with my trend of disclaimers: my background in physics consists solely of the science and history channel and the highest I’ve yet gone in math is multivariable calculus and linear algebra so if an equation is for some reason needed beyond that to fully convey an answer could you walk me there?
One other reasonably important thing of note, the last thread in which I asked a few questions was locked because it got off topic. Some of the off-topic stuff was interesting but none-the-less the administrators felt they had to step in. To avoid this thread meeting the same fate could that mostly be avoided? I’ll start a thread on the mathematical analysis of harmonics as it relates to the pleasure of experiencing music if necessary. :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wow. That's a lot of questions!

I will say that for #5 the answer, to my understanding, is no.

Related to Some questions mostly dealing with large objects in space.

1. How big is the universe?

The universe is constantly expanding, and its size is estimated to be approximately 93 billion light-years in diameter. However, this is just the observable universe and it is likely much larger.

2. What is the largest known object in the universe?

The largest known object in the universe is the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, a massive group of galaxies spanning over 10 billion light-years.

3. Can black holes swallow entire galaxies?

While black holes are incredibly powerful and can consume large amounts of matter, they cannot swallow entire galaxies. Galaxies are much too large and their gravitational pull is too strong for a black hole to completely engulf them.

4. How do scientists measure the mass of objects in space?

Scientists use various methods to measure the mass of objects in space, such as studying their gravitational effects on surrounding objects or analyzing their orbital patterns. They also use advanced technologies like telescopes and satellites to gather data.

5. Are there any known objects in space larger than the sun?

Yes, there are several known objects in space that are larger than the sun. For example, UY Scuti is a red supergiant star that is over 1,700 times larger than the sun. There are also massive gas clouds and galaxies that are much larger than the sun.