Some questions(pulleys,rotation)

• Thread starter Dweirdo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses three different questions related to ratios, acceleration, and energy in a physics context. The first question involves finding the relationship between energy and acceleration, with the person seeking a hint to help solve the problem. The second question is a multiple-choice question about a sphere rotating on an inclined plane, and the person is unsure of the correct answer. The third question involves a system with multiple pulleys, and the person is struggling to find the correct solution.
Dweirdo

Homework Statement

Hi all!
I'm attaching a picture with three diagrams,each for a question(they're numbered in green)
so question number 1:
i had to find all kinds of ratios between the accelerations and stuff, so this was good,
the last part of the question was "Find the acceleration using Energy" , I don't have an idea ow to relate energy to acceleration , It's pretty easy to find using Newton's laws, but not energy, so any hint here could help.
Info:no friction between any surface nor pulleys, neglect mass of pulleys,I defined mass 1 and mass 2 as numbered in sketch.
question number 2:
It's a multiply choice question :
A sphere that rotates around his axis of rotation was put on an inclined plane(long),Center of mass velocity in the moment it was put on the inclined plane was 0 , direction of rotation is as indicated in the sketch.
which of the following is true :
a)there is a period of time that the acceleration is greater than g*sin(beta).
b)there is a period of time that the acceleration is smaller than g*sin(beta).
c)there is a period of time that the acceleration is equal to g*sin(beta).
d)the angular velocity firs decreases then increases.

question number 3:
in the sketch, everything is ideal, the system is released from rest,the distance between M and 2M is:
a)not changing in system number 1, and increasing in system number 2.
b)decreases in system 1, increases in 2.
c)constant in both systems.
d)increases in both.

Homework Equations

Lots of!
F=ma.
W(conservative)=change in kinetic energy.
W(non conservative) = change in total energy.
rolling no slipping c.O.M velocity V=WR.
Acceleration of a sphere on an inclined plane when rolling no slipping =(2/3)gsin(beta) if i remember correctly.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok question number 1 left only the last part which is what i wrote, here I have almost no idea, I just found the velocity ratio, and i think I need to attach work of tension and change in PE and Ek some how ... can't find a way, so a hint will help :}
2)
wow this one is annoying , so what I have so far is , the velocity is 0 initially , so it's slipping, till it will have velocity of W*R , so there is acceleration downwards the plane, but i think there should be friction as well, so the answer should be b)period when acceleration is smaller than gsinB? or it's d? :S or else XDD
3)
Truly, that many pulleys make me sick, I would really like to know what steps are involved in this kind of questions, are You doing it in the intuitive way?
well anyway , I'll start from system number 2(left).
0.5M is definitely going up, so either M and 2M going down or only one of them.
in the first system , i think 3M goes down.2M and M going up.
well I'm lost in this question.
any hints/stories/jokes are welcome!
thanks!

Attachments

• helpplz.jpg
    helpplz.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump,any one?

Ok I've got the answer for question 3(constant distance), anyone can help me with the others? :S

Really nobody knows? or It's just cause the thread is to long? XD

Related to Some questions(pulleys,rotation)

1. How do pulleys work?

Pulleys work by using a wheel and a rope or chain to change the direction of a force. This allows for easier lifting of heavy objects by distributing the weight over multiple ropes or chains.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. A fixed pulley only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley also reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object.

3. How can pulleys be used to increase mechanical advantage?

Pulleys can increase mechanical advantage by using multiple pulleys in a system. This allows for the weight of the object to be distributed over multiple ropes or chains, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point, known as the axis of rotation. This type of motion is common in objects such as wheels, gears, and planets.

5. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque, the more an object will rotate. In rotational motion, torque is affected by the distance from the axis of rotation and the amount of force applied.