Some vectors and buried treasure.

• Thread starter niyati
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, vector A has x and y components of -8.70 cm and 15.0 cm, respectively; vector B has x and y components of 13.2 cm and -6.60 cm, respectively. The components of C are Cx = 7.3 cm and Cy = -7.2 cm. To find a buried treasure, the instructions are to go 75.0 paces at 240 degrees, turn to 135 degrees and walk 125 paces, then travel 100 paces at 160 degrees. The angle are measure counterclockwise from an axis point to the east, the + x direction. The resultant displacement from the starting point can be determined by treating each segment
niyati
I have two questions:

1. Vector A has x and y components of -8.70 cm and 15.0 cm, respectively; vector B has x and y components of 13.2 cm and -6.60 cm, respectively. If A - B + 3C = 0, what are the components of C?

To start out this problem, I calculated A - B :

[-8.70,15.0] - [13.2,-6.60] = [-21.9,21.6]

and then replaced it in the entire equation in terms of i and j:

(-21.9i + 21.6j) + 3([Cx]i + [Cy]j) = 0

The follow-through:

3([Cx]i + [Cy]j) = 0 - (-21.9i + 21.6j)

3([Cx]i + [Cy]j) = (0i + 0j) - (-21.9i + 21.6j)

3([Cx]i + [Cy]j) = (21.9i - 21.6j)

Now, I heard that you could not divide a vector quantity by a scalar quantity, but would it be all right to multiply the other side by one-third and then match up the quantities?

([Cx]i + [Cy]j) = (1/3)(21.9i - 21.6j)

Cx = 7.3 cm
Cy = -7.2 cm

2. Instruction for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 75.0 paces at 240 degrees, turn to 135 degrees and walk 125 paces, then travel 100 paces at 160 degrees. The angle are measure counterclockwise from an axis point to the east, the + x direction. Determine the resultant displacement from the starting point.

...I am very confused. I suppose counter-clockwise from the east means something like a coordinate grid/polar coordinate grid. But, (and this might seem like a weird conceptualization) with each stopping point, before each turn and after the pacing, is it like a new coordinate grid? Like, for example, after I go for 75 paces at a 240 degree angle, do I then draw another imaginary coordinate grid and go for 135 degrees? Or, do I add 240 to 135 (which is 375, or 15 degrees) and go 15 degrees? It's kind of a stupid question but, well, I think once I get that straight, I'm good to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
niyati said:
Now, I heard that you could not divide a vector quantity by a scalar quantity, but would it be all right to multiply the other side by one-third and then match up the quantities?
You may certainly divide a vector by a scalar. (Multiplying by 1/3 is the same as dividing by 3.)

But, (and this might seem like a weird conceptualization) with each stopping point, before each turn and after the pacing, is it like a new coordinate grid? Like, for example, after I go for 75 paces at a 240 degree angle, do I then draw another imaginary coordinate grid and go for 135 degrees?
Yes. Giving the angle is equivalent to giving the direction in terms of north/south/east/west.

Or, do I add 240 to 135 (which is 375, or 15 degrees) and go 15 degrees?
No. When you are walking at 240 degrees that's one direction with respect to the x-axis; when you are walking at 135 degrees that's another direction. Treat each segment independently and then add their components to find the resultant.

For #1, that's exactly what I thought. But I remember some rule against dividing and vectors. Might it have been a vector by a vector?

And for #2, thank you!

niyati said:
But I remember some rule against dividing and vectors. Might it have been a vector by a vector?
Yep. That's the one you can't do.

FAQ: Some vectors and buried treasure.

1. What are vectors and how are they used in science?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In science, they are commonly used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in vector calculus to study the motion and behavior of objects in space.

2. How do vectors relate to buried treasure?

In the context of buried treasure, vectors can be used to represent the direction and distance of the treasure from a specific point. This can be helpful in creating a map or solving a treasure hunt puzzle. Vectors can also be used to calculate the displacement or movement of the treasure over time.

3. What are some real-life applications of vectors?

Vectors have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used in designing structures, analyzing motion in sports, and predicting weather patterns. Vectors also play a crucial role in GPS technology and satellite navigation systems.

4. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative values. In physics, negative vectors indicate a direction opposite to that of positive vectors. For example, a negative velocity vector would represent an object moving in the opposite direction of a positive velocity vector.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which involves taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. The direction of a vector can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle between the vector and a reference axis can be calculated using inverse trigonometric functions.

Back