Someone me specific heat capacity?

In summary, the specific heat capacity of the metal can be calculated by equating the heat lost by the metal to the heat gained by the water. It does not matter whether the value used is 4.18 kJ/kgK or 1 cal/gC, as long as the units are consistent. The change in temperature for the metal and water will be the same.
Dmitri10
"What is the specific heat capacity of a 50-gram piece of 100 degree C metal that will change 400 grams of 20 degrees C water to 22 degrees C?

Could someone please explain to me how to do this problem? I have to figure it out on my own because my teacher is no help at all.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmitri10 said:
"What is the specific heat capacity of a 50-gram piece of 100 degree C metal that will change 400 grams of 20 degrees C water to 22 degrees C?

Could someone please explain to me how to do this problem? I have to figure it out on my own because my teacher is no help at all.

Thanks in advance.

The heat lost by the metal is equal to the heat gained by the water.

cwater=4.18 kJ/kgK

Okay, thank you. That leads me to another question, perhaps a silly one. How do I know when to use the 4.18 value instead of 1 cal/gC for water's specific heat capacity?

And... since the metal caused the water's temperature to increase by 2 degrees, does the metal's temperature decrease by 2 degrees?

Dmitri10 said:
Okay, thank you. That leads me to another question, perhaps a silly one. How do I know when to use the 4.18 value instead of 1 cal/gC for water's specific heat capacity?

it does not matter which one you use, you just need to be consistent with the units.

For example, if you just 4.18 kJ/kgK, you need mass to be in kg and temperature to be in K.

similarly for 1cal/gC, you need mass to be in grams (g) and temperature in C

Okay. That's what I presumed; that it didn't matter as long as units were consistent. Thank you for your help, though.

Hopefully my last question: is the change in temperature for the metal 2 degrees?

Dmitri10 said:
Okay. That's what I presumed; that it didn't matter as long as units were consistent. Thank you for your help, though.

Hopefully my last question: is the change in temperature for the metal 2 degrees?

I think it should be that the metal and water would have the same final temperature.

Okay. I cannot believe I didn't realize that before I asked. Haha how embarrassing... anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Related to Someone me specific heat capacity?

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting an experiment where a known amount of energy is added to a substance and the corresponding change in temperature is recorded.

3. Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. This information is useful in various industries, such as cooking, engineering, and climate science.

4. How does specific heat capacity differ between substances?

Specific heat capacity differs between substances due to variations in their molecular structure. Substances with stronger bonds and more complex structures tend to have higher specific heat capacities.

5. Can specific heat capacity change?

Yes, specific heat capacity can change depending on factors such as pressure, temperature, and phase changes. For example, the specific heat capacity of water is higher in its liquid state compared to its solid state.