Sound Intensity- just need someone to check my work

In summary, the conversation discusses the sound intensity at a rock concert and how it can potentially damage people's hearing. The question asks for the distance one would need to sit from the speaker system to ensure the sound intensity is below the recommended safe level. The solution involves using an equation and making simplifying assumptions about the sound source. The final answer is determined to be approximately 2812 meters, which is deemed unreasonable but still a rough estimate. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about avoiding rock concerts.
cep
Sound Intensity-- just need someone to check my work :)

Homework Statement

While enjoyable, rock concerts can damage people's hearing. In the front row at a rock concert, 5m from the speaker system, the sound intensity is 145 dB. How far back would you have to sit for the sound intensity to drop below the recommended safe level of 90 dB?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]B=10 log(I1/I2)

I1/I2=r2^2/r1^2, so [itex]\Delta[/itex]B = 20 log (r2/r1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging into the above equation yields (145-90) = 20 log (r2/5)

Rearranging, r2 = 5*10^[(145-90)/20] = 2812 m. I don't know where I could've made a mistake-- this is a pretty straightforward problem-- but that answer seems unreasonable.

Does it look alright to you?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

This is correct under the simplifying (but not totally correct) assumption that all the sound power from the concert is a concentrated point source.

A better model would be a combination of point sources or a distributed line source.

Thanks! The course I'm taking makes a LOT of simplifying assumptions haha.

cep said:
Thanks! The course I'm taking makes a LOT of simplifying assumptions haha.

You can get a rough estimate using the idea that if you double the distance from a sound source, you get a 6dB drop in level.

5m - 145 dB
10m - 139 dB
20m - 133 dB
40m - 127 dB
2560 - 91 dB

so you are after an answer a bit bigger than that, so you are correct.

The question is probably twisted tutor's attempt to tell you to stay away from rock concerts!

Your calculations look correct. However, the answer of 2812 m may not be realistic in this scenario. It is important to note that sound intensity decreases with distance, but it also depends on other factors such as the type of sound source, the environment, and the frequency of the sound. In addition, the recommended safe level of 90 dB is a general guideline and may not apply to all individuals. Therefore, it is important to use proper hearing protection and to take breaks from loud environments to protect your hearing.

Related to Sound Intensity- just need someone to check my work

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is an indication of how loud a sound is.

How is sound intensity different from sound pressure?

Sound intensity and sound pressure are related but different concepts. Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy passing through a given area, while sound pressure is a measure of the force exerted by the sound wave on a surface. Sound intensity takes into account the area over which the sound is spread, while sound pressure does not.

What factors affect sound intensity?

The factors that affect sound intensity include the amplitude (or loudness) of the sound wave, the distance from the source of the sound, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors such as obstacles, temperature, and humidity can also affect sound intensity.

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter, which calculates the decibel level of a sound. This measurement takes into account the intensity of the sound wave and the sensitivity of the human ear to different frequencies. Other specialized equipment, such as microphones and sensors, can also be used to measure sound intensity.

Why is sound intensity important?

Sound intensity is important for a variety of reasons. It allows us to measure and compare the loudness of different sounds, which can be helpful in fields such as audiology, engineering, and environmental studies. It also plays a role in our perception of sound and can affect our health and well-being if exposed to high levels of sound intensity for extended periods.