Sound waves propagation problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the lowest two possible frequencies of a sound wave emitted from a loudspeaker at the origin and passing through two groups of listeners at (33,0) and (0,43). The speed of sound is given as 340 m/s and the distance between the two groups is 54.2 m. By using the equation v(sound)= frequency * wavelength, it can be determined that the wavelength must be a non-integer greater than 1 in order to pass through both groups at the given coordinates. The system of equations to solve for the wavelength and frequency is 43/lambda = integer 1 and 33/lambda = integer 2.
qban88

Homework Statement

A loudspeaker at the origin emits sound waves on a day when the speed of sound is 340 m/s. A crest of the wave simultaneously passes listeners at the{xy} coordinates (43 ,0) and (0,33).What are the lowest two possible frequencies of the sound?

Homework Equations

v(sound)= frequency * wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption is the wavelength must be a number that when multiplied by two different integers the result is 33 and 43. I need to get something like the greatest common factor between 33 and 43 but it is a non-integer and I don't know what to do. Moreover, the distance between the 2 crests (10 m) has to be also the product of an integer and the wavelength.
I am trying to find the system of equations to solve for the maximum wavelength that would give me the lowest frequency and then calculate the next frequency. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, this is a homework problem and it is past due already but I spent almost 3 hours trying to figure it out and by know I just want to find out how is done. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Group 1 is at (33,0) and group 2 is at (0,43).

[tex] x^2 + y^2 = d^2 [/tex]

[tex] d = 54.2 m [/tex]

[tex] f = \frac{v}{\lambda} [/tex]

Since both groups experience a peak you know that they are an even integer of wavelength apart where [tex]\lambda n = d[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I see what you say but I can't find any way to find the second equation in order to find n . The way I was seeing it is that the crest of the wave that hits the points does not belong to the same wave but to consecutive waves in the same train wave. Otherwise, the speed of propagation in y would be less than the speed in x which is not the case. The longest wavelength using your suggestion would be 54.2/2 = 27.1 which is not compatible with the data that there is a crest at 33 and another at 43. I am putting the two points in the same line since I assumed the speed of propagation is the same in every direction so what matters is the distance from the origin if I am not mistaken. I tried to make the wavelength equal to 1 m (the greatest common divisor) which would give me the lowest frequency and the wavelength equal to 0.5 which would give me the second lowest frequency but that wasn't the answer.

43/lambda = integer 1 33/lambda = integer 2 It seems to me that actually the longest wavelength is a non integer greater than 1.
Again, thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Related to Sound waves propagation problem

1. What is sound waves propagation problem?

Sound waves propagation problem refers to the study of how sound waves travel through different mediums and how they are affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and obstacles. This is important in understanding how sound travels and how it can be manipulated for various purposes.

2. What are the different factors that affect sound waves propagation?

Some of the main factors that affect sound waves propagation include temperature, humidity, wind, and obstacles. These factors can change the speed, direction, and intensity of sound waves as they travel through different mediums such as air, water, or solids.

3. How do sound waves behave in different mediums?

Sound waves behave differently in different mediums. In general, sound waves travel faster in denser mediums such as water or solids compared to air. They also travel at different speeds depending on the temperature and humidity of the medium. In addition, sound waves can be absorbed, reflected, or refracted by different materials, which affects their propagation.

4. How is sound waves propagation used in real-world applications?

Sound waves propagation has many practical applications in various fields. In acoustics, it is used to design and improve sound systems, noise control, and architectural acoustics. In telecommunications, it is used for wireless communication and signal processing. In seismology, it is used to study earthquakes and other natural phenomena. In oceanography, it is used to study underwater sound propagation and marine life.

5. What are some challenges in studying sound waves propagation?

One of the main challenges in studying sound waves propagation is the complex nature of sound and its interaction with different mediums. The behavior of sound waves can be affected by various factors, making it difficult to accurately predict their propagation. In addition, the use of advanced equipment and mathematical models is often necessary to study and understand sound waves propagation.