Source Free RL circuit confusion

In summary: E = \frac{1}{2} L I^2 I(t) = I_0 \exp{-t\frac{R}{L}}E = \frac{1}{2} L I^2 I(t) = I_0 \exp{-t\frac{R}{L}}E = \frac{1}{2} L I^2 I(t) = I_0 \exp{-t\frac{R}{L}}I(0)=I_0I(t)=-I_0*e-rtI(0)=I_0I(t)
MagnificentLiver
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
I have a single loop RL circuit with no source. I am given the the inductance of 3mH, as well as that energy storage is as follows 1 J @ t=0 and 100mJ @ t=1ms. No current is given. I have to find R. I don't need the answer just some ideas of where to start. Thanks!

Homework Equations

The only equations I can think of are p=i(0)^2 * Re-2R/L t , 1/2Li(0)^2, and i=i(0)e-R/L t.

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially got .0015 Ohms (which I know is incorrect)

Physics news on Phys.org
MagnificentLiver said:
1. I have a single loop RL circuit with no source. I am given the the inductance of 3mH, as well as that energy storage is as follows 1 J @ t=0 and 100mJ @ t=1ms. No current is given. I have to find R. I don't need the answer just some ideas of where to start. Thanks!2. The only equations I can think of are p=i(0)^2 * Re-2R/L t , 1/2Li(0)^2, and i=i(0)e-R/L t.3. I initially got .0015 Ohms (which I know is incorrect)
Welcome to the PF.

Can you show your calculations that resulted in your answer? That would help a lot to show us your approach.

Also, I don't see the equation in your Relevant Equations section for the energy stored in an inductor in terms of the inductance and the current. Oh, wait, I see the expression, but it's not shown as an equation. Anyway, can you show your work so far? Thanks.

I used 1/2io2L

1J=.5io2(3mH)

2J/(3mH)=io2
R=P/i2
R=1/(25.82)

R=.0015. (I'm sure this I wrong and we haven't covered in our notes how to proceed to my knowledge)

Last edited:
MagnificentLiver said:
I used 1/2io^2L. 1J=.5io^2(3mH)

2J/(3mH)=io^2 R=P/i^2. R=1/25.8^2

R=.0015. (I'm sure this I wrong and we haven't covered in our notes how to proceed to my knowledge)
It's really hard to try to read your work the way it's typed, but it looks like you are on the right track and trying your best on this. Here is a LaTeX Primer that you should read through to help with your online math and science posts:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Let me try to help with the LaTeX version of what you are trying to do...

The two Relevant Equations that you correctly listed are:
[tex]E = \frac{1}{2} L I^2 [/tex]
[tex]I(t) = I_0 \exp{-t\frac{R}{L}}[/tex]

Now can you use my example LaTeX and show the two equations for the two energies (that gives you the two currents), and then use the exponential equation with the two currents and times to calculate the resistance?

Related to Source Free RL circuit confusion

1. What is a source-free RL circuit?

A source-free RL circuit is a circuit that does not have any external voltage or current source connected to it. This means that the circuit only consists of an inductor and a resistor connected in series.

2. How does a source-free RL circuit work?

In a source-free RL circuit, the inductor and resistor work together to create an oscillating current. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the resistor dissipates this energy in the form of heat. This creates a back-and-forth flow of current in the circuit.

3. What is the time constant of a source-free RL circuit?

The time constant of a source-free RL circuit is equal to the inductance divided by the resistance (L/R). This value represents the amount of time it takes for the current in the circuit to reach 63.2% of its maximum value.

4. What is the behavior of a source-free RL circuit over time?

Initially, the current in a source-free RL circuit will be zero, as there is no external source providing energy. As the inductor builds up its magnetic field, the current will gradually increase until it reaches its maximum value. Once the current reaches its maximum, it will start to decrease as the energy is dissipated by the resistor. This process will continue in a cyclical manner.

5. How can the behavior of a source-free RL circuit be represented mathematically?

The behavior of a source-free RL circuit can be described by the differential equation di/dt = -R/L * i, where i represents the current in the circuit and t represents time. This equation shows that the rate of change of current is directly proportional to the resistance and inversely proportional to the inductance.