Source Transformations: Find Vth & Rth

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit using only source transformations. The final answer is Vth=60V and Rth=30Ω, but there is some uncertainty about the legality of the steps taken. The expert recommends starting from one end of the circuit and working towards the output in stages, converting back and forth between source types if necessary.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Find the thevenin equivalent circuit by performing source transformations only.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers: Vth=60v and Rth=30.
I managed to get Rth correct, but I'm not sure if everything I did was "legal". I can't seem to find Vth.

Attachments

• SourceTransf.pdf
    290.7 KB · Views: 193
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Find the thevenin equivalent circuit by performing source transformations only.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers: Vth=60v and Rth=30.
I managed to get Rth correct, but I'm not sure if everything I did was "legal". I can't seem to find Vth.
In the 3rd circuit, your transformation of V into I is wrong since the resistor and current source(transformed) are not in parallel. But you don't need a 3rd step. I think in the 2nd circuit itself, the answer is obvious (60V).

Likes jdawg
Your third step is incorrect. When a voltage source is transformed into a current source the associated resistor must end up in parallel with the current source. Also, you should work from one end of the circuit to the other, towards the output, in stages.

Your first step, converting the 4 A source to a 40 V source allowed you to "swallow up" one 10 Ω resistor. The logical next step would be to convert this "new" voltage source and resistance back to a current source allowing you to "swallow up" more of the circuit with simple parallel or series combinations. Don't be afraid to convert back and forth between source types if it allows you to make progress in reducing the circuit.
Fig1.png

Likes jdawg
Thanks, I'll try reworking it!

Related to Source Transformations: Find Vth & Rth

What is Vth in source transformations?

Vth, also known as the Thevenin voltage, is the voltage that would be measured across two terminals of a circuit when all the sources are removed and replaced by their internal resistances.

How do you calculate Vth using source transformations?

To calculate Vth, you need to first identify the open-circuit voltage across the two terminals of the circuit. This can be done by using source transformations to replace all the sources with their internal resistances. Then, the open-circuit voltage can be found by using Ohm's Law (V=IR) on the resulting circuit.

What is Rth in source transformations?

Rth, also known as the Thevenin resistance, is the equivalent resistance across two terminals of a circuit when all the sources are removed and replaced by their internal resistances.

How do you calculate Rth using source transformations?

To calculate Rth, you need to first identify the short-circuit current between the two terminals of the circuit. This can be done by using source transformations to replace all the sources with their internal resistances. Then, the short-circuit current can be found by using Ohm's Law (I=V/R) on the resulting circuit. Finally, Rth can be calculated by dividing the open-circuit voltage (Vth) by the short-circuit current (Isc).

Can source transformations be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, source transformations can be used for any type of linear circuit. However, they are most commonly used for circuits that contain only independent sources (voltage or current) and resistors.