Sources? to study basic logic for precocious 10-year old

nomadreid
Gold Member
I am advising the mother of a precocious 10-year old who studies on his own and already has some rudimentary algebra skills. I am not tutoring the child, just giving some recommendations. One aspect that seems inadequately represented among resources on the Internet or books that she could order are books on basic logic. That is, if you do an Internet search with the keywords "logic for kids", you merely get lots of puzzle books. (Puzzles are fine, but when they are not explicitly and consistently connected to more significant elements in mathematics or science, then they are nothing more than curiosities.) With keywords "Introduction to Logic", one gets texts which would be too difficult for a 10-year old, despite his (apparent) high intelligence. There are some good books for older students -- The Annotated Alice, the Raymond Smullyan books, etc. -- but one has to already have a grounding in basic logic to understand them.

The logic should include aspects which also allow the student to better understand the way science works beyond the stereotypical simplified description of the scientific method as "hypothesis--experimental test--accept or reject hypothesis -- if reject, new hypothesis".

So, does anyone have any recommendations, either for books that the mother could order or Internet sites that the son could visit? Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Excellent recommendation, gleem! Many thanks! I will immediately recommend that the mother buy this.

(To other readers: I am still open for more recommendations!)