Space Curve Question: Showing Derivative of t wrt s

In summary: Now, using \dot{\alpha} = \alpha' and \dot{s} = \alpha' (1/\abs{\alpha}), we can find \frac{d^2t}{ds^2} = \frac{1}{\abs{\alpha}} \frac{d}{dt} \left( -\frac{\dot{\alpha}\cdot\ddot{\alpha}}{\abs{\alpha}^3} \right) = -\frac{\dot{\alpha}\cdot\ddot{\alpha}}{\abs{\alpha}^4}.In summary, we use the inverse function theorem to show that \dot{\alpha} is parallel to \beta', and then use this fact to
noospace

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\alpha : I \to \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] be a regular parametrized curve and let [itex]\beta : J \to \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] be a reparametrization in terms of arc length [itex]s = s(t)[/itex].

Show that [itex]\frac{d^2t}{ds^2} = -\frac{\dot{\alpha} \cdot \ddot{\alpha}}{\abs{\alpha}^4}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to use dots and dashes to represent differentiation wrt time and arc-length, respectively.

[itex]\beta'(s) = [\alpha (t(s))]' = \dot{\alpha} t'[/itex]
[itex]\beta''(s) = \dot{\alpha}t'' + \ddot{\alpha} t'^2[/itex] (*)

[itex]t'(s) = 1/\dot{s}(t)[/itex] by the inverse function theorem for 1 variable so
[itex]\dot{\alpha} = \dot{s} \beta'(s)[/itex]. This is where things start to get messy.

I think I need to use the fact that [itex]\dot{\alpha} = \alpha'[/itex]. Then the result follows by dotting both sides of (*) by [itex]\alpha'[/itex].

Can you convince me that [itex]\dot{\alpha} = \alpha'[/itex]?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured this out nearly as soon as I posted it. Here it is for future use:

[itex]\beta'(s) = \dot{\alpha} t'[/itex] (1)
[itex]\beta''(s) = \dot{\alpha} t'' + \ddot{\alpha} t'^2[/itex]
[itex]\beta''(s) = \dot{\alpha} t'' + \ddot{\alpha} t'[/itex].

Applying inverse function to (1) gives [itex]\beta'(s)\dot{s} = \dot{\alpha}[/itex] showing that [itex]\dot{\alpha}[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\beta'[/itex].

But [itex]\beta'[/itex] is a unit vector field so [itex]\beta'\cdot\beta''=0 \implies \dot{\alpha} \cdot \beta''=0[/itex]. Hence

[itex]0 = \dot{\alpha}^2 t'' + \dot{\alpha}\cdot\ddot{\alpha} t'^2[/itex]
[itex]t'' = - \frac{\dot{\alpha}\cdot \ddot{\alpha}t'^2}{\dot{\alpha}^2} = -\frac{\dot{\alpha}\cdot\ddot{\alpha}}{\dot{\alpha}^4}[/itex]

FAQ: Space Curve Question: Showing Derivative of t wrt s

1. What is a space curve?

A space curve is a curve that exists in three-dimensional space. It can be defined by a set of parametric equations that describe the x, y, and z coordinates of points along the curve. These points can represent the position of an object moving through space over time.

2. What is the derivative of t with respect to s?

The derivative of t with respect to s, written as dt/ds, represents the rate of change of the parameter t with respect to the parameter s. In other words, it measures how much t changes for every unit change in s along the space curve. It is also known as the tangent vector or velocity vector of the curve at a specific point.

3. Why is the derivative of t with respect to s important in space curves?

The derivative of t with respect to s allows us to calculate the slope or direction of the space curve at any given point. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and movement of objects in space, such as planets orbiting around a star or satellites traveling through orbits.

4. How is the derivative of t with respect to s calculated?

The derivative of t with respect to s is calculated using the chain rule from calculus. The general formula is dt/ds = dt/dx * dx/ds + dt/dy * dy/ds + dt/dz * dz/ds, where x, y, and z are the parametric equations of the space curve. This formula can be simplified for specific space curves depending on their parametric equations.

5. Can the derivative of t with respect to s be negative?

Yes, the derivative of t with respect to s can be negative. This means that the space curve is changing direction or slowing down at that particular point. It can also indicate that the curve is moving in the opposite direction of the parameter s. The magnitude of the derivative represents the speed or rate of change, so a negative derivative means the curve is moving in the opposite direction with a certain speed.

Back