Spacetime Physics: teleportation to Andromeda

However, as an expert summarizer, I must remind you that you should only provide a summary of the content, not reply to questions or engage in discussion. Please keep this in mind for future responses. In summary, a Transporter can reduce a person to data and transmit them through light or radio signals. In this scenario, a person is beamed from Earth to Zircon, a planet in the Andromeda Nebula, two million light-years away. It is assumed that the person remains identical to the original after transmission, and any time spent disassembling and assembling them is negligible. The questions ask about the aging of the person during their outward trip to Zircon and their entire trip back to Earth. There may be some confusion
Animastryfe

Homework Statement

Paraphrase: A Transporter can reduce a person to data and transmits the data by light or radio signal to another location. A person is beamed from Earth to the planet Zircon orbiting a star in the Andromeda Nebula, two million light-years from Earth. Neglect any relative motion between Earth and Zircon, and assume : (1) transmission produces the person identical to the original in every respect except that he/she has traveled two million light-years and (2) the time required for disassembling and assembling the person is negligible as measured in the common rest frame of the Transporter and Receiver.

a. How much does the person age during her outward trip to Zircon?
b. The person spends one Earth-year on Zircon, then beams back to Earth. How much has the person aged during her entire trip?

Homework Equations

Interval^2=(ct)^2 - (s)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The question's wording seems too vague and confusing to me. Am I supposed to assume that the first part of the question, "how much has the person aged during the outward trip", wants me to find the time elapsed from the beamed person's (or her data's) reference frame? If the person is moving at c, then wouldn't that be 0, as the Lorentz interval is 0? If so, then the answer to the second part of the question would be 'one Earth year', as the entire trip from the frame of the person being transported would be just one Earth year, correct?

This is question 1-10 from the second edition of Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to agree with you, something seems fishy about this question. But your reasoning mostly makes sense. Given that the data is transmitted by radio or light waves, it will travel at speed c, and for something traveling at the speed of light there is no notion of time. Photons do not age. (As you know)

Even if the data were transmitted at sublight speed, though, I think there would still be something fishy about the question, because although the particles transmitting the data would age, the data itself would not change en route. Since the biological age of the person being teleported is a function of the transmitted data, he/she would be the same age before and after the teleportation. (Also since the problem says the reassembled person is identical to the original: that must mean the reassembled person is the same age as the original.)

P.S. One technicality I'll mention: something moving at the speed of light does not have a reference frame (a.k.a. rest frame), because it can never be brought to rest.

diazona said:
P.S. One technicality I'll mention: something moving at the speed of light does not have a reference frame (a.k.a. rest frame), because it can never be brought to rest.

Ah, I did not know that. My special relativity course has just started, so I assume we'll get to that in due course. I shall ask my professor about this question next week.

Thank you for the response.

Related to Spacetime Physics: teleportation to Andromeda

1. What is spacetime physics?

Spacetime physics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy. It combines the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics to understand the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. Is teleportation to Andromeda possible with our current understanding of spacetime physics?

No, teleportation to Andromeda is currently not possible with our current understanding of spacetime physics. Teleportation relies on the ability to manipulate and control individual particles at the quantum level, which is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

3. How does spacetime physics explain the possibility of teleportation?

According to the theory of relativity, space and time are interconnected, and can be bent and warped by the presence of matter and energy. This means that if we can understand and manipulate the fabric of spacetime, we may be able to teleport an object from one point to another without physically traveling through the space in between.

4. What are the potential consequences of teleportation to Andromeda?

The consequences of teleportation to Andromeda are largely unknown, as we do not currently have the technology or understanding to achieve it. However, it could potentially open up new possibilities for space exploration and colonization, as well as revolutionize transportation and communication on Earth.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding teleportation to Andromeda?

There are ethical concerns surrounding the potential consequences of teleportation to Andromeda, such as the impact on the environment and the displacement of indigenous life forms. There may also be concerns about the safety and well-being of the individuals being teleported and the potential for misuse of this technology.