Special Relativity - 2 observers - 2 frames of reference

In summary, the problem involves an observer in frame S observing two flashes of light separated by a spatial distance of 2300 m and a time difference of 5 µs. An observer in frame S' moving at a velocity v relative to S also observes the same flashes with the same time and spatial separation, but in a different order. To find the magnitude and direction of v, the Lorentz equation for distance can be used, but the distance the observer traveled must also be known.
kachilous

Homework Statement

An observer in frame S standing at the origin observes two flashes of colored light separated spatially by Δx = 2300 m. A blue flash occurs first, followed by a red flash 5 µs later. An observer in S ' moving along the x-axis at speed v relative to S also observes the flashes 5 µs apart and with a separation of 2300 m, but the red flash is observed first. Find the magnitude and direction of v.

Homework Equations

I believe the necessary equation is v = Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

So I initially thought I would simply have to plug into the above equation Δx = 2300 m and Δt = 5 μs. But now I am realizing that would not give me the velocity of the observer.
To find the velocity of the observer would I have to know the distance he traveled?
And then use Δt = 5x10^-6?

Physics news on Phys.org
You titled this "special relativity" but you haven't used any formulas from relativity.

I figured I could use x = γ(x' + vt') {The lorentz equation for distance}
And then since I am given the spatial separation Δx,
Δx = γ(xo' + vt2' - γ(xo' + vt1'
Then I could solve for v, but that still did not work

Related to Special Relativity - 2 observers - 2 frames of reference

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also explains the relationship between energy and mass.

2. How does Special Relativity apply to two observers?

Special Relativity applies to two observers when they are in different frames of reference and are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. This means that their perception of time and space will be different.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in Special Relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in Special Relativity where time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to an object at rest. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

4. How does the concept of length contraction fit into Special Relativity?

Length contraction is the phenomenon in Special Relativity where an object in motion appears shorter in the direction of its motion compared to an object at rest. This is also due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

5. Is Special Relativity only applicable to objects moving at high speeds?

No, Special Relativity can be applied to any objects moving at any speeds, but its effects are only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. At everyday speeds, the differences in time and space between two observers are too small to be observed.