Special relativity and magnitude and direction of velocity

In summary, the two events occur simultaneously in the inertial frame S', and using Lorentz's transformations, the magnitude and direction of the velocity of S' with respect to S can be found by setting the time difference between the events to zero and solving for velocity, which is equivalent to setting the parenthesis in the equation to zero. The resulting velocity is 108 m/s.
tebes

Homework Statement

In the inertial system S, an event is observed to take place at point A on the x-axis and 10^-6 seconds later another event takes place at point B , 900 m further down. Find the magnitude and direction of velocity of S' with respect to S in which these two events appear simultaneous.

Homework Equations

Lorentz's transformations
x = [itex]\gamma[/itex] ( x' + vt')
t = [itex]\gamma[/itex] ( t' + vx'/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Then, I let x/t to solve for velocity and t' = 0 because the two events appear simultaneous. Is attempt correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that sounds good for the most part. In my mind, you've got your lorentz transformation backwards for the problem at hand, but they will have the same information so however you want to do it. :)

Mindscrape said:
Yeah, that sounds good for the most part. In my mind, you've got your lorentz transformation backwards for the problem at hand, but they will have the same information so however you want to do it. :)

Thank you. If I use 3 x 10 ^ 8 m/s as c, I would obtain zero. But If I use c = 299 792 458 m / s, my answer wouldn't be trivial. Does it mean anything physically ?

I'm doing a similar problem at the moment, and I don't quite understand why you've set t' to 0?

tebes said:
Thank you. If I use 3 x 10 ^ 8 m/s as c, I would obtain zero. But If I use c = 299 792 458 m / s, my answer wouldn't be trivial. Does it mean anything physically ?

Huh? Your result should be algebraic.
[tex]
t'=\gamma(t-vx/c^2)
[/tex]
Did you get?
c^2 t/x=v

beth92 said:
I'm doing a similar problem at the moment, and I don't quite understand why you've set t' to 0?
Perhaps for clarity, the lorentz equations the original poster listed should really be
[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
\Delta x'=\gamma(\Delta x-v \Delta t) \\
\Delta t' = \gamma(\Delta t - v \Delta x/c^2
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]
In the inertial frame, the primed frame, it looks like the two events occur at the same time; there's no difference between the two events.

Okay, thanks! I think I've figured it out..

From Lorentz we have t=γ(t'+v/c2x')

So if we have two times in the S frame t1 and t2 then the interval

t2-t1=Δt=γ(t'2-t'1)+γ(v/c2(x'2-x'1))

We know that S' observes the events at the same time so t'1=t'2

Also from Lorentz: x=γ(x'+vt')

So distance between events A and B in S frame is

x2-x1=γ(x'2-x'1)+γv(t'2-t1)

We know the second term is zero so we can say that x'2-x'1=Δx'=Δx/γ

Subbing this into the expression for Δt:

Δt=γ(v/c2(Δx/γ))

γ cancels out and we can rearrange for v=Δtc2/Δx

We know Δx is the distance between A and B w.r.t S frame and is 900m.
Δt is the time between the events in the S frame and is 10-6s. We know c, so we can just use plug in these numbers and we find

v=108 m/s

If I've done something wrong please let me know! :)

Yep, that's the same thing I got. Look at how easy the problem would have been in the primed frame. From my equations:
dt'=0=(dt-vdx/c^2)
So what's in the parenthesis must be zero
v=dt/dx*c^2

Related to Special relativity and magnitude and direction of velocity

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the speed of an object. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How does special relativity affect the magnitude and direction of velocity?

According to special relativity, the magnitude of velocity is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. This means that an object's velocity can appear different to different observers based on their relative motion. However, the direction of velocity remains constant for all observers.

3. Can special relativity be applied to objects with mass?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to objects with mass as it describes how the speed of an object changes as its mass approaches the speed of light. This is known as the theory of mass-energy equivalence, famously represented by the equation E=mc^2.

4. How does special relativity affect time dilation?

Special relativity predicts that time will appear to pass slower for an observer moving at high speeds compared to an observer at rest. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been proven through experiments such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. Does special relativity have any practical applications?

Special relativity has numerous practical applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics and our understanding of the universe.

Back