Special Relativity and time dilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the time dilation between two spaceships traveling at a relative velocity of 1.2x10^8 m/s and carrying clocks. The captain of each ship observes that the other captain's clock ticks more slowly than their own. By using the Lorenz Factor equation, the factor by which the clocks disagree is found to be 1.291. However, this value has no units as it is a ratio of two times. The individual talking was unsure if this is the correct approach but the expert confirms it to be correct.
mikil100

Homework Statement

Two spaceships are traveling with a relative velocity of 1.2x10^8 m/s, both carrying clocks.
According to the captain of each ship, the other captains clock ticks more slowly than his own. By what factor do the clocks disagree?

Homework Equations

1/(1-(v^2/c^2))^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The only formula I can think of that brings up the time dilation going on is the Lorenz Factor, as the only given value is the relative velocity of each ship. I interpreted this question as the ships are speeding at a little over 1/3 of the speed of light past each other if they are using each other as a frame of reference, So I simply plugged the velocity (which is relative to each captain, using the other ship as a reference frame) into the equation to get... so the clocks disagree by a factor of 1.291... I am not sure what units I would even place there or if it is just a number with no units.

Is this the correct line of thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right on track and the factor has no units because it is a ratio of two times.
I get a different number for the answer. I'm old and out of practise so you are probably correct, but do run it through again to check.

Related to Special Relativity and time dilation

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to time dilation?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Time dilation is a consequence of special relativity, which explains how time appears to run at different rates for observers in relative motion.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs when an observer moves at a high speed relative to another observer. This causes time to appear slower for the moving observer compared to the stationary observer. According to special relativity, time slows down as velocity increases.

3. What is the formula for time dilation?

The formula for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where t' is the time measured by the moving observer, t is the time measured by the stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two observers, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does time dilation affect GPS systems?

GPS systems rely on precise timing to determine location. Due to the high speeds at which GPS satellites travel, their clocks experience time dilation, causing them to run slower. This effect is taken into account and corrected for in order for the GPS system to function accurately.

5. Is time dilation a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

Time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through experiments. For example, the famous Hafele-Keating experiment involved atomic clocks flown around the world on commercial airplanes, and the results were consistent with the predictions of special relativity. Time dilation is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and is necessary for many practical applications, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators.