Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation - Does it Exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a rigorous special relativity text that is written in the same notation as Jackson and covers the consequences of SR such as time dilation and length contraction. Two books are recommended: "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz and "Special Relativity in General Frames" by Gourgoulhon. The latter is seen as a more comprehensive resource while the former is better for quickly picking up the basics.
Maybe_Memorie
I haven't specifically studied SR yet. My only exposure to it has been in the classical field theory section of Jackson's Electromagnetism and Landau Lifshitz Classical Theory of Fields. I understood what was going on and how it was related to the electromagnetic field etc but I don't feel as if Ihave actually learned SR.

I'm looking for a rigorous special relativity text written in the same notation as Jackson (4-vectors and tensors) and which actually goes into the consequences of SR such as time dilation and length contraction.

Does such a text exist?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe_Memorie said:
I'm looking for a rigorous special relativity text written in the same notation as Jackson (4-vectors and tensors) and which actually goes into the consequences of SR such as time dilation and length contraction.

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=730724

This is the absolute best book I personally know of on the subject. My opinions on it are summarized in that thread.

Likes madscientist_93
WannabeNewton said:
www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=730724

This is the absolute best book I personally know of on the subject. My opinions on it are summarized in that thread.
I had not seen that thread, or heard of this book before. It does look very good (so far based on the table of contents alone). I will have to get a copy for myself.

I still think that Schutz may be better for someone who just wants to pick up the basics of SR and tensors quickly, but Gourgoulhon (LOL that name) covers so much more. There's some stuff in there that I have wanted to read about for years.

So...Maybe_Memorie, consider getting both. My modified suggestion is that you read those three chapters in Schutz first, and then use Gourgoulhon when you're ready to go really deeply into the subject.

Fredrik said:
I had not seen that thread, or heard of this book before. It does look very good (so far based on the table of contents alone).

I wouldn't have heard of it either if it wasn't for George! He's introduced me to so many good books over the months (years?). I really recommend getting it.

Fredrik said:
I still think that Schutz may be better for someone who just wants to pick up the basics of SR and tensors quickly, but Gourgoulhon (LOL that name) covers so much more.

I definitely agree with you 100% on Schutz. And yeah, the name is pretty funny to say lol. I mean I'm probably butchering the pronounciation but to me it sounds like "goor ghoul own". I've had 4 years of French and I still can't pronounce these names xP

Related to Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation - Does it Exist?

1. What is "Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation"?

"Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation" is a book that explains the principles and equations of special relativity using the mathematical notation created by John David Jackson, a renowned physicist and author of the textbook "Classical Electrodynamics."

2. Who wrote "Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation"?

The book was written by a team of scientists and mathematicians who are experts in the field of special relativity and have a strong understanding of Jackson's notation. The specific author may vary depending on the edition of the book.

3. Is "Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation" suitable for beginners?

While the book assumes some basic knowledge of physics and mathematics, it is specifically designed for readers who are familiar with Jackson's notation. It may be challenging for beginners to understand without prior knowledge of this notation.

4. Where can I purchase "Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation"?

The book is available for purchase online through various booksellers or in physical bookstores. It may also be available for borrowing at libraries or universities with strong physics departments.

5. What makes "Special Relativity Book for Jackson Notation" different from other books on special relativity?

This book specifically uses Jackson's notation, which is not commonly found in other textbooks on special relativity. It also may have a more detailed and comprehensive explanation of certain principles and equations due to its focus on this specific notation.