Special Relativity clarification required

In summary: I don't know why you don't understand. If you want to describe the situation from the frame of reference of one of the ships, that would be a different problem. But for this problem, the Earth frame of reference is the one that matters.The relativistic velocity transformation equations are necessary to properly describe the velocities of objects moving in different inertial frames of reference. The first equation, ux = (u'x + v) / (1+ (vu'x/c^2)), describes the transformation of velocity in the x direction. The second equation, uy = u'y / γ(1+ (vu'x/c^2)), describes the transformation of velocity in the y direction. The relative velocity of the particles
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Two spaceships, each 100m long when measured at rest, travel toward each other, each with a speed of .85c relative to the earth. At time t=0 on earth, the front ends of the ships are next to each other as they just begin to pass each other. At what time on Earth are their backs next to each other?

Homework Equations

L = 1/γ * Lp
t = L/u

The Attempt at a Solution

So the length of each ship from Earth's frame is 1/γ * Lp which comes out to 53 meters, and then apparently the time it takes for their back ends to be together is the time it takes either spaceship to move the length of the spaceship in Earth's frame. So it would be t = L/u which comes out to 2.1e-7 seconds.
The book says this is the correct answer, but I don't understand. Why do you only need to calculate the time it takes for one spaceship to travel the length of a spaceship from Earth's frame? Shouldn't the fact that they are both moving towards each other from Earth's frame mean something?

wtfz
Special relativity is confusing me in general actually... can somebody explain the relativistic velocity transformation equations to me??

ux = (u'x + v) / (1+ (vu'x/c^2))

and yet...

uy = u'y / γ(1+ (vu'x/c^2))

how come the relative velocity of the particle in the x direction effects it's velocity transformation in the y direction? I know it has to do with the fact that the frame S and S' are moving apart from each other in the x direction but I can't quite connect the dots for making sense of this equation, anyone think they can enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
Why do you only need to calculate the time it takes for one spaceship to travel the length of a spaceship from Earth's frame? Shouldn't the fact that they are both moving towards each other from Earth's frame mean something?

A picture in the Earth frame showing the locations of the ships when their front ends are coincident and then when their back ends are coincident should make this clear.

how come the relative velocity of the particle in the x direction effects it's velocity transformation in the y direction? I know it has to do with the fact that the frame S and S' are moving apart from each other in the x direction but I can't quite connect the dots for making sense of this equation, anyone think they can enlighten me?

uy = Δy/Δt and u'y = Δy'/Δt'

Although Δy = Δy', Δt differs from Δt' due to the relative motion of the frames in the x direction. It might help to review the derivation of the velocity transformation equations.

Likes 1 person
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Two spaceships, each 100m long when measured at rest, travel toward each other, each with a speed of .85c relative to the earth. At time t=0 on earth, the front ends of the ships are next to each other as they just begin to pass each other. At what time on Earth are their backs next to each other?

Homework Equations

L = 1/γ * Lp
t = L/u

The Attempt at a Solution

So the length of each ship from Earth's frame is 1/γ * Lp which comes out to 53 meters, and then apparently the time it takes for their back ends to be together is the time it takes either spaceship to move the length of the spaceship in Earth's frame. So it would be t = L/u which comes out to 2.1e-7 seconds.
The book says this is the correct answer, but I don't understand. Why do you only need to calculate the time it takes for one spaceship to travel the length of a spaceship from Earth's frame? Shouldn't the fact that they are both moving towards each other from Earth's frame mean something?

wtfz
Special relativity is confusing me in general actually... can somebody explain the relativistic velocity transformation equations to me??

ux = (u'x + v) / (1+ (vu'x/c^2))

and yet...

uy = u'y / γ(1+ (vu'x/c^2))

The problem is asking how long it takes the ships to pass each other as reckoned from the Earth's frame of reference. That is why the focus is on the Earth's frame of reference, and not the frames of reference of the two ships. You analyzed the problem flawlessly.

Related to Special Relativity clarification required

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the behavior of particles moving at high speeds. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity. This theory is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special Relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in several ways. Firstly, in Special Relativity, the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, while in Newtonian mechanics, there is an absolute frame of reference. Additionally, Special Relativity takes into account the constancy of the speed of light, while Newtonian mechanics assumes that the speed of light is infinite. Finally, Special Relativity introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are not independent but are intertwined.

3. What is the role of time dilation in Special Relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Special Relativity where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This effect becomes significant at speeds approaching the speed of light and is a consequence of the constancy of the speed of light. Time dilation has been confirmed through various experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

4. Can Special Relativity explain the Twin Paradox?

Yes, Special Relativity can explain the Twin Paradox. The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment where one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in a spaceship. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth. This is due to the time dilation effect described in Special Relativity. The traveling twin experiences less time due to their high velocity, while the twin on Earth experiences more time.

5. What are the practical applications of Special Relativity?

Special Relativity has several practical applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. GPS satellites use the principles of Special Relativity to accurately measure time and determine the location of objects on Earth. Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, use the principles of Special Relativity to accelerate particles to high speeds. And nuclear energy relies on Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², which is derived from Special Relativity.