Special Relativity: Collision of a Particle and Antiparticle

In summary, to create a new particle with rest energy 10,000 MeV and total energy 100,000 MeV from a particle and its anti-particle with rest energy 1,000 MeV, the speed of the particle and antiparticle before collision must be v1 = .99995c and v2 = 0c. This can be solved by setting up equations for conservation of energy and momentum and solving for the velocities using the formula v = E/p.
szimmy

Homework Statement

A particle and its anti-particle are directed toward each other, each with rest energy 1,000 MeV. We want to create a new particle with rest energy 10,000 MeV and total energy 100,000 MeV. What must the speed of the particle and antiparticle be before the collision.

ERest0 = m0c2 = 1,000 MeV
ERestFinal = 10,000 MeV
ETotal = 100,000 MeV

Homework Equations

γx = 1 / √[1 - (vx2 / c2)]

Conservation of Energy:
EInitial = EFinal
Conservation of Momentum:
PInitial = PFinal

Total energy:
ETotal = √[(pc)2 + (ERest)2]
ETotal = ERestγ

Relativistic Momentum for the particles:
PInitial = m0 / c2 * [v1γ1 + v2γ2]

Solving for momentum in terms of the total and rest energies:
PFinal = 1 / c * √[(ET)2 - (ERestFinal)2]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I laid out conservation of energy.
EInitial = EFinal
ERest01 + γ2] = 100,000 MeV
100 = γ1 + γ2

Then I solved for the final momentum using the expression above which is derived from the total energy formula.
PFinal = 1 / c * √[(100,000)2 + (10,000)2]
PFinal = 1 / c * 99,498 MeV

The I setup conservation of momentum.
PFinal = PInitial
1 / c * 99,498 MeV = m0 / c2 * [v1γ1 + v2γ2]

1 / c * 99,498 MeV / [1,000 MeV / c2] = [v1γ1 + v2γ2]

99.498c = [v1γ1 + v2γ2]

This is where I get stuck. I don't know whether I should attempt to solve for one of the velocities or just in general which step to take next. I tried solving by setting one of the velocities to zero but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it.

If I substitute v2 = 0:
γ2 = 1

100 = γ1 + 1
99 = γ1
√[1-(v12 / c2)] = 1 / 99
v12 / c2 = 1 - (1 / 99)2
v1 = √[1 - (1 / 99)2] c
v1 = .99995c

Is this answer right? v1 = .99995c and v2 = 0c

Can someone please either verify my answer or give me a step in the right direction? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I actually figured it out, no need to reply

Wait what did you do? I'm stuck.

It's generally better to work in terms of energy and momentum and then find velocities using ##v = E/p##. It simplifies the algebra.

Related to Special Relativity: Collision of a Particle and Antiparticle

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects in motion behave at high speeds, particularly near the speed of light. It describes how time, space, and mass are affected by an observer's relative motion and how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. What is a particle and antiparticle collision?

A particle and antiparticle collision occurs when two particles, with opposite charges and quantum numbers, come into contact and annihilate each other, resulting in the production of energy in the form of photons or other particles.

3. How does special relativity explain the collision of a particle and antiparticle?

Special relativity explains the collision of a particle and antiparticle by incorporating the principles of energy conservation and mass-energy equivalence. According to the theory, the total energy of the system (particle + antiparticle) must remain constant. Therefore, when the two particles collide and annihilate each other, their combined mass is converted into energy in accordance with E=mc^2.

4. What is the role of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in special relativity and is denoted by the letter "c". It plays a crucial role in the theory by setting the upper limit for the speed at which all objects, including particles and antiparticles, can travel. This limit is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, and is known as the speed of light postulate.

5. What are the implications of special relativity for particle and antiparticle collisions?

Special relativity has several implications for particle and antiparticle collisions. It explains why these collisions result in the production of energy and why this energy is always conserved. It also predicts that the energy produced will be proportional to the particles' mass and the speed at which they were traveling. Furthermore, special relativity helps us understand how particles and antiparticles behave at high speeds, providing a framework for studying their interactions in particle accelerators and other experiments.