Special Relativity - Conservation of Energy/Momentum

In summary: Just be careful with your use of the symbol ##m_0##. It usually represents the rest mass of the atom in the ground state.
Zatman

Homework Statement

An atom of rest mass M in an excited state of energy Q0 (measured in its rest frame) above the ground state moves towards a counter with speed v. The atom decays to its ground state by emitting a photon of energy Q (as recorded by the counter), coming completely to rest as it does so. Show that

[itex]Q=Q_0[1+\frac{Q_0}{2Mc^2}][/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]E^2=p^2c^2 + m_0^2c^4[/itex]
[itex]E = \gamma m_0c^2[/itex]
[itex]\gamma = (1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the lab frame, the atom is initially moving with speed v. When the photon is emitted, the atom is at rest. Hence using conservation of energy:

[itex]\gamma Q_0 = Mc^2 + Q[/itex]

By conservation of momentum, the photon's momentum must equal the initial momentum of the atom. This gives:

[itex]\gamma Mv = \frac{Q}{c}[/itex]

There is sufficient information here to eliminate v and γ (since γ depends on v). However, when I do so, I get nothing close to the required answer. So I guess my interpretation of the context is wrong. Please could I have a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expressions for the final energy and final momentum look correct. However, the expressions for the initial energy and initial momentum are not correct.

Think about the rest mass of the excited atom.

Okay, so I think that the initial energy of the atom given as Q0 does not include the rest energy? Which would mean the energy equation would become:

[itex]\gamma Q_0 + Mc^2 = Mc^2 + Q[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \gamma Q_0 = Q[/itex]

I'm not sure why the momentum is incorrect. I am working in the lab frame, in which the atom is moving with speed v. Hence I must use

[itex]\mathbf{p_{initial}} = \gamma M\mathbf{v}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow p_{initial} = \gamma Mv[/itex]

Zatman said:
Okay, so I think that the initial energy of the atom given as Q0 does not include the rest energy? Which would mean the energy equation would become:

[itex]\gamma Q_0 + Mc^2 = Mc^2 + Q[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \gamma Q_0 = Q[/itex]

This is still not correct.

I'm not sure why the momentum is incorrect. I am working in the lab frame, in which the atom is moving with speed v. Hence I must use

[itex]\mathbf{p_{initial}} = \gamma M\mathbf{v}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow p_{initial} = \gamma Mv[/itex]

You have the general equations ##E = \gamma m_0 c^2## and ##p=\gamma m_0 v##.

You just have to get the ##m_0## correct when the atom is excited. (How does ##Q_0## affect ##m_0##?)

Thanks for you replies, TSny, but I'm afraid I still cannot get it.

The rest mass of the atom in its excited state is given by

[itex]Q_0 = m_0 c^2 \Rightarrow m_0 = \frac{Q_0}{c^2}[/itex]?

If so, this would change the energy equation to:

[itex]\gamma Q_0 + \frac{Q_0}{c^2}c^2 = Mc^2 + Q[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (\gamma + 1)Q_0 = Mc^2 + Q[/itex]

and the momentum equation to:

[itex]\gamma\frac{Q_0}{c^2}v = \frac{Q}{c}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow\gamma Q_0v=Qc[/itex]

Zatman said:
Thanks for you replies, TSny, but I'm afraid I still cannot get it.

The rest mass of the atom in its excited state is given by

[itex]Q_0 = m_0 c^2 \Rightarrow m_0 = \frac{Q_0}{c^2}[/itex]?

##Q_0/c^2## represents the additional rest mass due to the excitation energy. This should be added to ##Mc^2## to get the total rest mass of the excited atom.

A given quantity of hot water has more rest mass than the same water when cold.

Likes 1 person
I see. This gives the excited rest mass as

[itex]M+\frac{Q_0}{c^2}[/itex]

Giving the conservation of energy equation:

[itex]\gamma (M+\frac{Q_0}{c^2})c^2 = Mc^2+Q[/itex]

And conservation of momentum:

[itex]\gamma(M+\frac{Q_0}{c^2})v = \frac{Q}{c}[/itex]

Which then solve to give the required answer. Thank you for your help!

Looks good.

Related to Special Relativity - Conservation of Energy/Momentum

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy in special relativity?

The principle of conservation of energy in special relativity states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any changes that occur within the system. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does special relativity affect the conservation of momentum?

In special relativity, the conservation of momentum still holds true, but it is modified by the concept of relativistic mass. This means that the total momentum of a closed system is conserved, but the mass of the objects within the system may change as they approach the speed of light.

3. Can energy and momentum be conserved independently in special relativity?

No, energy and momentum are closely related in special relativity and cannot be conserved independently. This is because energy and momentum are components of the same 4-vector, known as the energy-momentum 4-vector. Any changes in energy will also result in changes in momentum and vice versa.

4. How does the principle of conservation of energy/momentum impact the behavior of particles in special relativity?

The principle of conservation of energy/momentum has a significant impact on the behavior of particles in special relativity. It determines how particles interact with each other and how their energy and momentum are exchanged. For example, in high-speed collisions, the kinetic energy of the particles may be converted into mass, which affects their momentum and trajectory.

5. Are there any exceptions to the principle of conservation of energy/momentum in special relativity?

There are no known exceptions to the principle of conservation of energy/momentum in special relativity. It is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments and observations. However, it is important to note that the principle may not hold in certain extreme scenarios, such as in the presence of black holes or during the early stages of the universe's formation.