Special Relativity -- Dynamics -- Energy

In summary, the only antimatter element that has been produced in the laboratory is antihydrogen. If an antihydrogen atom collides with a hydrogen atom, they annihilate each other and create gamma radiation. If this energy could be harnessed in a matter-antimatter automobile engine, how far could a car travel on 10 mg each of antihydrogen and hydrogen?
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

Antihydrogen is the only antimatter element that has been produced in the laboratory, albeit just a few atoms at a time. Each antihydrogen atom consists of a positron in orbit around an antiproton and has the same atomic mass as hydrogen. If an antihydrogen atom collides with a hydrogen atom, they annihilate each other and create gamma radiation.

If this energy could be harnessed in a matter-antimatter automobile engine, how far could a car travel on 10 mg each of antihydrogen and hydrogen? At highway speeds, a typical automobile expends about 2.5×10^3 J per meter.

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 9.00 * 10^8 m, but I haven't been able to work out an answer that is even close to this.

I've solved the minimum amount of energy that is released in this process (3.01 * 10^-10 J). I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I solved it if necessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Barry:

I think you omitted an important equation: E = mc2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Okay, so if i use E = mc^2 with m = 10 mg then i get 9 * 10^12 J. Where do I go from here?

Barry Melby said:
Where do I go from here?
Hi Barry:

Look at the end of 1. Problem Statement. Also be careful about your units.

Regards,
Buzz

I realize that you should be able to take E / 2.5 * 10^3 J/m , but this is incorrect.

Hi Barry:

What units are you using for c and m?

Regards,
Buzz

c: m/s
m: kg

Hi Barry:

What values are you using for c and m?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Barry:

What values are you using for c and m?

Regards,
Buzz
c: 3.00 * 10^8 m/s
m: 10 * 10^-5 kg

Hi Barry:

How are you converting 10 mg into kgs?

Regards,
Buzz

Hi Barry:

Also, what is the TOTAL input mass, hydrogen and anti-hydrogen?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Barry:

How are you converting 10 mg into kgs?

Regards,
Buzz
This is exactly what I'm doing:

[(20 * 10^-6)(3 * 10^8)^2] / (2.5 * 10^3) = 720000000

which is incorrect.

i figured it out. thank you.

Hi Barry:

OK. You get the same answer I do, which is not the same as the answer you say you know is correct: 9.00 * 10^8 m. Where did this "correct" answer come from?

Regards,
Buzz

Barry Melby said:
i figured it out. thank you.
Hi Barry:

Glad to have been of some help.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Special Relativity -- Dynamics -- Energy

1. What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity, developed by Albert Einstein in 1905, is a fundamental principle of physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity affect our understanding of energy?

Special relativity has a significant impact on our understanding of energy. It shows that energy and mass are equivalent, and that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa. This is expressed by the famous equation E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that all physical laws and theories should be the same for all observers in motion. This means that the laws of physics should not depend on the observer's velocity, and that there is no preferred frame of reference. Special relativity is based on this principle.

4. How does special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that two observers in different inertial frames of reference will measure different amounts of time for the same event. This effect has been confirmed by various experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has practical applications in many everyday situations. For example, it is used in GPS technology to account for the time dilation effect and ensure accurate location tracking. It also explains the energy released in nuclear reactions and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.