Special relativity homework question time dilation

In summary, assuming that the spaceship travels at a constant speed of 0.95c, it will take approximately 18.8 years for the spaceship to reach Altair. Depending on how the question is interpreted, the age of the passenger upon arrival could vary. However, in the Earth frame of reference, the passenger would be around 39.8 years old.
natxio

Homework Statement

You are a passenger on a brand-new spaceship that travels at 95% of the speed of light, i.e.,
v = 0.95 × c. The spaceship is bound for the star, Altair, at a distance of 17 light years from
Earth. If the spaceship departs on your 21st birthday, at a speed of v = 0.95c, how old are you
when the spaceship arrives at Altair?

Homework Equations

Δtmoving = Δtrest x [square root of (1−v^2/c^2)]

v= d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this problem, in my opinion it appears to be poorly worded, I don't know if the professor means age relative to Earth time or age relative to the traveling speed. This is my attempt to find a solution:

v=d/t v=0.95c --> 0.95c= 17lightyears/ t

t= d/ v

t= 17ly/ 0.95 c

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I sympathize with you; relativity really confused me, too! Even those guys at CERN measuring neutrinos were confused. I remember just enough to know that this question is very well worded - no nonsense about accelerating at the beginning or end to worry about. Just the Earth frame of reference. I think your calc is correct, but you better check here to be sure:
http://physics.bu.edu/py106/notes/Relativity.html

FAQ: Special relativity homework question time dilation

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory in physics developed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It explains how objects move in space and time, and how different observers may see the same event differently, depending on their relative motion.

2. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity, in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to objects that are stationary. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the moving object approaches the speed of light.

3. How does time dilation affect the measurement of time?

Time dilation causes time to appear to pass more slowly for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that clocks on a moving object will appear to run slower compared to clocks on a stationary object. This effect has been confirmed by experiments using atomic clocks.

4. What is the formula for calculating time dilation?

The formula for calculating time dilation is t' = t√(1-v²/c²), where t' is the time measured by an observer in motion, t is the time measured by a stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two observers, and c is the speed of light.

5. Can you give an example of time dilation in everyday life?

One example of time dilation in everyday life is the Global Positioning System (GPS). The GPS satellites are moving at high speeds relative to Earth, and their clocks run slightly slower due to time dilation. This effect needs to be accounted for in order for GPS to accurately determine locations on Earth.