Special relativity: Lorentz equations

In summary, the pole vaulter is running towards one of the open barn doors while holding a 16ft pole. The barn has doors at both ends that are 10ft apart. The pole fits entirely in the barn at once, according to the stationary observer in the barn. The pole vaulter's perspective is different, as there is a concept of time dilation and a loss of simultaneity. The time interval between the back end of the pole entering the barn and the front end leaving is determined by using the Lorentz transformations and the factor y_v. In this scenario, the back end of the pole enters the barn first and the time interval can be calculated using the formula t_2 - t_1
aznkid310

Homework Statement

A pole vaulter holds a 16ft pole. A barn has doors at both ends, 10 ft apart. The pole-vaulter on the outside of the barn begins running toward one of the open barn doors, holding the pole in the level direction he's running. When passing through the barn, the pole fits entirely in the barn at once. According to the stationary observer in the barn, which occurs first, the front end of the pole leaving the barn first or the back end entering, and what is the time interval between these events?

Homework Equations

I realize that the 'proper length' Lo = 16ft, and L = 10 ft. From there, I can get the velocity v and the factor y_v [measure of the departure of relativistic expectations].
I can then use the lorentz transformations, but I am having trouble finding the values

The Attempt at a Solution

L = (y_v)*Lo

10 = sqrt[1-(v^2/c^2)]*Lo

Solving for v: v = 0.78c

Thus, y_v = sqrt[1-(0.78^2)] = 0.626

Since we want to know t_2 - t_1, i used:

t_2 - t_1 = (y_v)*[(v/c^2)*(x'_2 - x'_1) + (t'_2 - t'_1)]

I don't know how to find the x primes and t primes (distances and times according to pole vaulter).

Physics news on Phys.org
10/16=0.625

if the coordinates in one frame are (x,t)
then the coordinates in another frame are (gamma*(x-vt), gamma*(t-vx))

but only if c=1. otherwise there is another term which I don't know because I never bother with it.

the origin of the 2 systems cooncide at t=0

are you saying that i can use the time dilation formula: t = (y_v) * t'?

no. time and distance are both involved. there is a lass of simultaneity. just use the formula I gave you.

btw, the stationary observer sees the pole fit into the barn. its the pole vaulter that sees it differently. so the question is worded wrongly.

from the stationary observers point of view:
back end of pole enters barn (0,0)
front end of pole leaves barn (10,0)

Related to Special relativity: Lorentz equations

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravitational effects. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. What are the Lorentz equations?

The Lorentz equations are mathematical equations that describe how time, length, and mass change when an object moves at speeds close to the speed of light. They are a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of special relativity and are used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. How are the Lorentz equations derived?

The Lorentz equations were derived by Hendrik Lorentz based on Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. Einstein later refined them in his theory of special relativity by incorporating the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light. They can also be derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which relate the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference to another moving frame of reference.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz equations?

The Lorentz equations are significant because they accurately describe the effects of special relativity, which has been proven to be true through various experiments. They also play a crucial role in modern physics and have led to many advancements in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. Are the Lorentz equations applicable to everyday life?

Yes, the Lorentz equations are applicable to everyday life, as they are a fundamental part of our understanding of the universe and how it works. They are used in technologies such as GPS and have practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and particle accelerators.

Back