Special relativity of two clocks

In summary, the conversation discusses the offset in time between two synchronized clocks in different frames, S and S', and the confusion over the absence of a factor of ##\gamma##. The correct factor is actually ##\frac{Lv}{c^2}##, which is derived from the distance a photon must travel between the clocks. The source of the confusion is a book that may not explain the concept clearly, but the conversation ends with the issue being resolved.
Physgeek64
Why is it that for two clocks that are synchronised in one frame, S, but not in another, S', is there an offset in the time by a factor of ##\frac{Lv}{c}##, as measured in S'. Where L is the proper length of the body, as measured in S. I'm confused as to why there is not a factor of ##\gamma## here

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think there should be a factor ##\gamma##? Have you looked at how the relation is derived?

Physgeek64 said:
Why is it that for two clocks that are synchronised in one frame, S, but not in another, S', is there an offset in the time by a factor of ##\frac{Lv}{c}##, as measured in S'. Where L is the proper length of the body, as measured in S. I'm confused as to why there is not a factor of ##\gamma## here

Many thanks
I'm pretty sure the offset in time is Lv/c2, not Lv/c (since obviously Lv/c is in units of length).

Also section 11.3 of this link has a problem that comes up with your Lv/c involving synchronized clocks on a train. It has a nice picture too showing the distance the photon must travel, which gives those two factors.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/chap11.pdf

Battlemage! said:
I'm pretty sure the offset in time is Lv/c2, not Lv/c (since obviously Lv/c is in units of length).

Also section 11.3 of this link has a problem that comes up with your Lv/c involving synchronized clocks on a train. It has a nice picture too showing the distance the photon must travel, which gives those two factors.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/chap11.pdf

How careless of me- I did mean over ##c^2##. Funnily enough, this was the book that caused my confusion. I don't feel like he explains it very well. However, I have since worked it out- so all it good.

Thank you for replying though- it's very appreciated :)

Physgeek64 said:
How careless of me- I did mean over ##c^2##. Funnily enough, this was the book that caused my confusion. I don't feel like he explains it very well. However, I have since worked it out- so all it good.

Thank you for replying though- it's very appreciated :)
Haha no it definitely could be clearer, but it does have a good picture I think.

FAQ: Special relativity of two clocks

1. What is the special relativity of two clocks?

The special relativity of two clocks refers to the concept in physics that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. It states that two clocks moving at different speeds or in different gravitational fields will measure time differently.

2. How does the special relativity of two clocks work?

The special relativity of two clocks is based on Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. This means that as an object moves faster, time appears to slow down for that object, as observed by an outside observer.

3. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to include non-inertial reference frames, such as those affected by gravity. General relativity also takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects, whereas special relativity does not.

4. How is the special relativity of two clocks relevant in everyday life?

The special relativity of two clocks has many practical applications in modern technology, such as in GPS systems. These systems need to account for the difference in time between satellites in orbit and receivers on Earth due to their different speeds and gravitational fields. This allows for accurate navigation and time synchronization.

5. Are there any experiments that have proven the special relativity of two clocks?

Yes, there have been several experiments that have confirmed the predictions of special relativity. One of the most famous is the Hafele-Keating experiment, which showed that atomic clocks on airplanes moving in opposite directions measured time differently due to their different speeds. This experiment provided strong evidence for the time dilation predicted by special relativity.