Special Relativity particle decay.

In summary, the problem involves calculating the half life of Un particles in a frame moving with the particles. By setting up the decay equation and dividing by the initial number of particles, the half life can be solved for in the laboratory frame. However, this may not match the answer in the book, so further calculations and comparisons may be needed to determine the correct solution.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

An accelerator produces a beam of Un that travels to a detector located 100m away. The particles travel with a velocity of .866c, so in the laboratory frame it takes the particles .385*10^-6 seconds to get to the detector. By the time the particles get to the detector, half of the particles have decayed. What is the half life of Un? (note: half life as it would be measured in a frame moving with the particles)

Homework Equations

tpγ=t
N=Ni e^(-t/τ)

The Attempt at a Solution

so since there is 1/2 of the total particles left, i wrote the decay equation
1/2N=N e^(-t/τ)

dividing by N
1/2 = e^(-t/τ)
so
ln(1/2) = -t/τ
solving this for τ to figure out the half life in the laboratory frame.

now i have to set this number equal to the proper version of it τp multiplied by the gamme factor and solve for τp

τ = τpγ
τ/γ = τp = the half life of the particles according to their moving frame.
This gives me the wrong answer according to the back of my book (which is sometimes wrong) anyone know what I did wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
This gives me the wrong answer according to the back of my book (which is sometimes wrong) anyone know what I did wrong here?
What did you get, and what is the solution in the book?

What do you get if you divide your answer by the book's answer? Is it some number you recognize?

I think you calculated the lifetime instead of the half life. There is no need to use the decay equation at all. You know that half of the particles decayed...

Related to Special Relativity particle decay.

What is special relativity particle decay?

Special relativity particle decay is a phenomenon that occurs when a particle decays into other particles, releasing energy in the process. It is governed by the principles of special relativity, which describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

How does special relativity particle decay occur?

Special relativity particle decay occurs when a particle, such as a proton or neutron, decays into other particles, such as photons or electrons. This decay can happen spontaneously or as a result of a collision with another particle.

What is the role of energy in special relativity particle decay?

Energy plays a crucial role in special relativity particle decay, as it is released in the form of other particles when a particle decays. This energy can be calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

How is special relativity particle decay different from regular particle decay?

Special relativity particle decay differs from regular particle decay in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and the principles of special relativity. This means that the energy released and the resulting particles may differ from what would be expected in non-relativistic particle decay.

What practical applications does special relativity particle decay have?

Special relativity particle decay has many practical applications in various fields, including nuclear physics, particle accelerators, and medical imaging. Understanding this phenomenon allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and make predictions about their decay products.