Special Relativity Particle Distance Question

In summary, the problem involves two particles moving in orthogonal directions in an inertial frame S. The distance between the particles is found by writing their trajectories in terms of 4 displacements and finding the difference. The rate of change is then calculated by taking the derivative with respect to time.
bon

Homework Statement

In a given inertial frame S, two particles are shot out from a point in orthogonal directions with equal speeds v. At what rate does the distance between the particles increase in S?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i want to write the trajectories of the two particles in terms of 4 displacements. Then find the difference. Then find the rate of change

So X1 = (ct, x1, y1, z1)

X2 = (ct, x2, y2, z2)

The difference is (0,x1 - x2, y1 - y2, z1-z2)

The rate of chance is

(0, dx1/dt - dx2/dt, ...) But how do i simplify this using the fact they're orthogonal..?

Should i not solve in such a general way. better to pick two 4-displacement vectors obviously orthogonal. How would i do that?

I see that something like (ct, 0, 0, 0) is orthogonal to (0, vt, 0, 0) But these aren't the trajectories of two moving bodies in the inertial frame. Actually, the second one doesn't even have a time entry. Is this allowed?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're only dealing with one inertial reference frame, S, so relativity doesn't even enter into this problem. For simplicity, just assume one object moves in the y direction and the other one moves in the z direction. At time t, both objects will be a distance vt from the origin, one on the y-axis and one on the z-axis. What's the distance between them? Differentiate this expression with respect to time to find the rate of change of the distance.

Related to Special Relativity Particle Distance Question

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant.

What is a particle?

A particle is a tiny unit of matter that cannot be divided further. It can be a subatomic particle, such as an electron or proton, or a larger particle, such as an atom or molecule.

How does special relativity affect the distance between particles?

According to special relativity, the distance between particles can change depending on the relative motion of the observer. This is known as length contraction, which means that an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when compared to an observer at rest.

Can particles travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which particles can travel. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

Special relativity may seem like a concept that only applies to extreme speeds and distances, but it actually has a significant impact on our daily lives. It is incorporated into technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise time measurements, and it has led to a better understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.