Special Relativity rocket’s speed

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the speed of a rocket flying between two planets one light-year apart so that the time elapsed on the captain's watch is one year. The correct equation is v^2/(1-(v/c)^2)=d^2/t^2, which can be simplified to v=sqrt(1/2)*c. The person asking for help realized their mistake and thanked the responders for their assistance.
br0shizzle1

Homework Statement

A rocket flies between two planets that are one light-year apart. What
should the rocket’s speed be so that the time elapsed on the captain’s watch
is one year?

Homework Equations

I have v = d'/t'
d'=d/ϒ
t'=1 year
d=1 light year

The Attempt at a Solution

Will the equations I use vϒ=d/t' but I get complex roots as an answer. What am I doing wrong?

Likes Harjot
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

I believe you have it set up correctly. You'll need to show your algebra steps in order for us to see where you are making a mistake.

TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

I believe you have it set up correctly. You'll need to show your algebra steps in order for us to see where you are making a mistake.
v(sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)=d/t
v^2(1-(v/c)^2)=d^2/t^2
v^2-v^4/c^2=d^2/t^2
v^2-v^4/c^2-d^2/t^2=0
I used wolfram to solve for roots and it gave back complex numbers.

br0shizzle1 said:
v(sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)=d/t
Did you use the correct expression for ϒ?

TSny said:
Did you use the correct expression for ϒ?
oops, v^2/(1-(v/c)^2)=d^2/t^2
Should I multiply the LHS by the denominators conjugate?

br0shizzle1 said:
oops, v^2/(1-(v/c)^2)=d^2/t^2

EDIT: OK

Should I multiply the LHS by the denominators conjugate?

No, try multiplying both sides by the denominator on the left side.

TSny said:
EDIT: OK
No, try multiplying both sides by the denominator on the left side.
Ah! thank you, everything works now.
edit: is there any way I can give your points or something of that regard?

Good work! Don't worry about any points.

Likes BvU
br0shizzle1 said:
Ah! thank you, everything works now.
edit: is there any way I can give your points or something of that regard?
Hey! Would you mind sharing what you got as a result? I'm having a little trouble with the equation myself.

Harjot said:
Hey! Would you mind sharing what you got as a result? I'm having a little trouble with the equation myself.
PF custom is to help find answers. So show your work to let us help you where you get stuck.

@br0shizzle1: TSny is too modest -- befitting someone of his (/her?) status in PF. But there is a "Like" link at the lower right in every posting (except your own :) ).

Last edited:
BvU said:
PF custom is to help find answers. So show your work to let us help you where you get stuck.

@br0shizzle1: TSny is too modest -- befitting someone of his (/her?) status in PF. But there is a "Like" link at the lower right in every posting (except your own :) ).
Fair enough. I also had v(gamma)=d/t' --> (v^2)=((d^2)/(t'^2))*(1-(v/c)^2) --> here I considered d^2/t'^2 to be equal to c^2 because d=1 light year and t we set to 1 year so my equation became --> v^2 = c^2(1-(v^2/c^2)) --> (v^2)/(c^2) = 1-(v^2/c^2) --> ((v^2)/(c^2))+((v^2)/(c^2)) = 1 --> 2((v^2)/(c^2)) = 1 --> ((v^2)/(c^2)) = 1/2 ----> v/c=sqrt(1/2) and then v=sqrt(1/2)*c.

Appreciate the response :)

And where do you think you have trouble with the equation ?

Oh, and: Hello Harjo, welcome to PF! :)

A little unusual to make your debut tagging onto an existing thread, but your question is clear and it's a start...

Oh I was just wondering if I had done it right. If my assumption was fair to make.

I realize now I should have put the work down first and then asked for clarification. woopsie daisy

You're doing fine. And, just so you know: I was surprised by the answer, too ! Shows you're never too old to learn

Awesome! True enough :w

Thanks a bunch!

Related to Special Relativity rocket’s speed

1. What is "Special Relativity" and how does it relate to a rocket's speed?

Special Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 which explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the speed of an object. It is relevant to a rocket's speed as it helps us understand how time and space are distorted when an object travels close to the speed of light.

2. What is the maximum speed a rocket can reach according to Special Relativity?

According to Special Relativity, the maximum speed that an object can reach is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that no object, including a rocket, can travel faster than the speed of light.

3. How does Special Relativity affect time for a rocket traveling at high speeds?

Special Relativity states that time can slow down for an object that is moving at high speeds. This means that for a rocket traveling close to the speed of light, time will appear to pass slower for the rocket's occupants compared to those on Earth. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

4. Can a rocket ever reach the speed of light according to Special Relativity?

No, according to Special Relativity, a rocket (or any object with mass) can never reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light. This is known as the mass-energy equivalence principle.

5. What is the significance of Special Relativity in space travel and exploration?

Special Relativity is crucial in space travel and exploration as it helps us understand how time and space are affected by high speeds. This understanding is essential for accurately measuring distances and time intervals in space, and for predicting the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds, such as rockets and satellites.